Computer shuts off randomly only when I watch videos or play games

Xiphoid

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
Hello, everyone! I'm a new member, but I've been reading on this site for a few months now xD. I finally have had a problem that I couldn't fix on my own, so I thought I might get a second opinion from you all, if it's not too much trouble. Anyway, my laptop recently kicked it, so I had to switch to my backup desktop. Here are the stats:

System Model: Gateway LX6810-01
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad
GPU: Nvidia GT 610 1 GB
Hard Drive: Western Digital 256GB Caviar Blue 7200RPM
RAM: 8GB DDR2
Power Supply: Dynex 400W power supply
Display: 24 inch Dynex TV @ 1768x992 resolution

The problem I am having is that it randomly shuts off, without a blue screen, without any error whatsoever, just goes black, when I'm playing a game (the one in particular that the problem was first noted was Dead Space). However, the problem has grown to shutting down whenever I watch videos on Youtube or any embedded player, and even when I'm browsing the internet, although it takes a longer time for it to shut down (maybe thirty minutes to an hour if I leave it alone for an hour or so). In fact, while I was writing this, it shut down twice (thank goodness for Chrome's restore feature!). I have a friend in IT who suggested I replace my graphics card, since I told him it was running hot (60C idling, maxed about 85 when playing Dead Space before shutting down, and it was playing at roughly 1300x768 res or something on high quality everything with V-sync on), and I did, swapping the original Nvidia GT 120 for a brand new GT 610. However, It still shuts down, and even when I'm browsing the internet . I'm out of ideas of what to do, though my friend did suggest thinking about replacing my fan/heatsink, since my cores idle a little high (around 48C-50C).

Thanks in advance :D!

thee_prisoner

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Shut downs usually means there is a heat or PSU problem. When it shuts down just browsing, I'm thinking it is the PSU. It could be other things but usually it is a bad PSU.

It could be the cpu too but the temps aren't that high. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a better cpu fan but then again you may have a faulty/bad PSU. Dynex are very crappy PSUs.

Xiphoid

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012

I see. I talked to my dad about it, he's also worked in IT for a bit, and he also suggested looking at the PSU and the fan. I think I'll replace the PSU first, since it IS pretty old, and I've now read up on Dynex's power supplies, and they don't look pretty xD. I'm wondering about what wattage I should get for the new PSU. Should I just go for the same wattage as the old one, or should I go a bit higher? And what brands do you recommend? Keep in mind that I'm probably not going to game too much on it, and I'm just using it as a temporary computer till I buy a new laptop (guessing that will be about two to four months). Thanks!

as thee prisoner said above it could be overheating problem or power supply failure. but according to your situation i'm incline to believe it was psu problem. for your build even 300w should be enough but if you're thinking about better gpu in the future you will want psu with better wattage. as for the brand go for the brand that's known for their quality and reliability such as seasonic, antec or corsair

thee_prisoner

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008

I concur what Renz496 says, I too like Seasonic and Fortron/FSP PSUs because they build them for other resellers. The computer you have would be worth adding a better GPU and it would allow you to play at higher resolution and other higher quality settings. Much cheaper then buying a laptop unless you need the mobility of a laptop.

Happy Gaming, the Prisoner.