GPU max temperature

kisrobert

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Hi,
I like to put water cooling on the videocard,too.
The only problem that the water is about 40-45°C.
(An XP2000+ heat the water, and it goes to the radiator.
There is not any pump or ventillator in the system, thats why it is so warm. The cpu is 50-60°C depend on its load)

The videocard is Leadtek GF4 MX440
What is the maximum temperature of the GPU?
How can I get the current temp og GPU?
What is the max duty of the GPU (Watt)?

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
There is not any pump or ventillator in the system, thats why it is so warm. The cpu is 50-60°C depend on its load)
and how do you move the water?
If you are not overclocking that CPU and you are at 50-60ºC you should go for aircooling or to buy a PUMP.

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b>

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
...put a radiator in the system and how the hell do you move the water without a pump? after this then you can hook the video card into the circut. I highly reccomend that you get your cooling straightened out, my xp1800 ~ 1.8ghz is running around 40-45c at load with my air cooling setup

Treat your signature like your tooth brush, don't let anyone else use it and get a new one every few months.

kisrobert

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
The water is moving without pump. The circuit is clear:
The water go to the processor, become warm. The warm water is easier then the cold water, so the cold water push the warm.
The cold water go down to the processor and warm up.
The warm water go up into the top of the radiator and cool down.

This circuit is working with min 1-2C temperature difference.
And it is absolutely silent.

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
that has got to be the worst cooling solution I have ever heard of...ever. The water is getting way too warm and it may start boiling in there. If the water boils leaks WILL result and leaks inside of a computer case is BAD. get a pump and a radiator, a resivour can also help temperatures a bit. I seriously doubt that the water is moving very fast, the radiator should stop the water from moving at all. all you have is one giant dangerous passive heatsink that will end up being the death of your system. If noise is that important to you then you can get a stealth fan and even mod it to spin slower if you'd like but for Gods sake you are killing your machine!

Treat your signature like your tooth brush, don't let anyone else use it and get a new one every few months.

kisrobert

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
There are some weak point of the system, but there is no chance to boil the

water.
1, the water will boil at 100C
there is really big problem if it reach - the motherboard protector stop the system at 80C.
2, the water moving slow, but it is enough. The radiator do not stop the water. The radiator ensure the moving of water.

Do not worry about the working of this system - it is really works for me since one month. I can leave the computer for one week with full processor load without any problem.
The idea is working at the cooling of large transformators.

The question is still that will my video card work if it is about 50-55C?

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
well your video card is probably cooler than that right now as it is...you might just end up raising the temperature

--------------

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">mubla otohp eht ni ecaf ruoy teg</A>

svol

Champion
It would work... if it doesn't adds to much heat to the water. I really advice you to get a small and silent pump for your system as the natural flow of water would probably be to low to cool the CPU and GPU.

And overclocking with this system will be a nightmare.

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!
--- PM me for information.

kisrobert

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Thanks for the advices. I have a pump in my system for safety, but I do not use it. It does not change the temperature of the water. The only difference is that the temperature of CPU is 5-8 lower. So when I want to overclock the CPU I turn on the pump and ventillators.

<font color=red> My questions are the operating temperature of GPU, the way to get the temperature, and the max duty (watt).</font color=red>
If it is 50-60C, the I can connect it to the current system, if lower, then I have to change some part.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kisrobert on 12/17/02 01:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

svol

Champion
Well as no-one else seems to know I did a little seraching and I think that the chip can handle temps up to 68C, atleast someone told that his chip ran at that temp:
<A HREF="http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_video&message.id=57097&highlight=" target="_new">See this thread where it was said</A>

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
that doesn't mean that it always runs at that temp though, so you might not be able to count on the water being hot enough there to provoke movement
i guess only testing can tell

--------------

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">mubla otohp eht ni ecaf ruoy teg</A>

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
I had contacted NVidia as well as Chaintech (the manufacturer of my video card) to enquire about operating temperatures, and they had told me that temperatures on a GeForce4 MX440 should be between 40 & 45 celcius - but obviously the cooler the better. On water-cooled system which has 50-60 degree celcius water, I would never even connect my CPU to start with, much less my GPU. At least have one fan running exhaust over your radiator and you might be able to stick the vid. card into the equation, MIGHT be able to... On a side-note, are you using pure water or mixing it with a chemical coolant? You might be able to achieve better performance with specially formulated cooling fluid.

Staggering out of the shower this morning, I hear the hair-dryer. "Whose awake?" I think... Till I realize its my computer - talk about a windtunnel

kisrobert

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
The water is 40-45 C. I let my computer turned on with full CPU loads for 10 days (from Xmas to today) and everything was ok. (I hope it will work on summer too:) )

I use tap-water - cheap, easy to get, and one of the best cooler.
I do not know if any special cooling fluid can help. If I will have some time I will try. (I try to get some electrical oil, but everybody want to sell in 25-200 liter barrel)

I will not use ventillator, as my target is the silent PC.

If the system will not work I will change my radiator.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Well if you're not using any ventilator, it would explain the high water temperatures... But I would suggest not using tap water for starters - it leaves too much resdue behind, which can hinder the capacity of your system... use distilled water instead (its cheap and easy to find - ie grocery store). Also, you might want to add in synthetic cooling fluid (such as "Prestone" - a car cooling fluid, dilluted with distilled water), and its only about $2.99 for 4 liters. Adding in the pelletier to that equation will run your water way too hot though - and I don't think it would be worth it - and especially not healthy if your video card is being cooled with the water system too. Adding at least one 120mm fan with a low db (around 25db is nearly silent and the difference it makes is worth it) will add so much performance to your system... Right now your just slowly cooking it all in an oven if you ask me... not a good idea. Nonetheless, do not add a pelletier until you get some ventilation, otherwise the cooling system won't be able to dissipate enough of the hot side's energy to be able to keep the cool side running cool.

Ahhh! It's 2003 and wait, whats this!? My computer didn't blow up! ... Well damn, there goes my new Athlon @ 333FSB and my inssurance claim... heheheh

svol

Champion
Who says he waint to use a peltier? He just wants a perfectly quiet system.

kisrobert

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
Silent and safe.
Peltier is too difficult...
Need to check the temperature to avoid condensation.
Need a power supply... if it is 70-100W
I do not know too munch about the reliability of peltier.
So I prefer do not use it.

The target is to cool the CPU and the GPU by water, so I can slow down the ventillator of power supply. The chipset got a large heatsink (from a died celeron) without ventillator.
As there are some hot parts around the CPU, I put in a slow 8cm ventillator to the CPU. Now they ar OK.
After this project I hope I will have a silent PC.

kisrobert

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
tap water against destillated water:
What's the difference?
Only some gram of encrustment. It does not change the flow of the water in a 9mm tube.
And only for one hour. As the water melt a lot from the radiator. Now my water is dark brown. And the destillated water would be the same.

tap water vs. synthetic cooling fluid
I do not know the synthetic cooling fluid preferences, I never tried, but I do not think that there wolud be large difference between 20-50C.
I think cooling fluids are good if you need to use from -30C to 120C.

svol

Champion
Your water got dirty by all dirt inside the radiator? That is not because that can damage metal components inside your watercooling by corrosion.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Svol is right, you're water shouldn't be brown, there shouldn't be anything in your piping or radiator that would color your water like that, and you really want to avoid corrosion if you want to protect your investment.
And those synthetic cooling fluids are pretty good, they'll absorb more energy while keeping a lower temperature, and then cool easier once reached the radiator.

Ahhh! It's 2003 and wait, whats this!? My computer didn't blow up! ... Well damn, there goes my new Athlon @ 333FSB and my inssurance claim... heheheh

CrimPhoenix

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2003
Not to change the sub here, but wouldn't a passive heatsink on that beast yield the same numbers without the hassle of any water issues? Even if you couldn't go with an entirely passive heatsink, a small fan mounted on one with the voltage bumped down to slow the speed would work, while keeping your noise issues to a minimum.

kisrobert

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
I also thougt about great heatsink like Zalman have.
http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/intro.htm
But:
1, In that time I could not buy in Hungary.
2, The water cooling advance that bring out the heat from the case. So I can slow down the ventillator of PSU. (I'm not so brave to cool also the PSU with water...)
3, The 'silent' ventillators are silent for half year, and after that you can hear different noises.
4, the final target is the silent computer. The "almost" silent already reached.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
whoa, no wonder, heh. how big is that thing anyways ?