how to control multiple fans off one knob?!?

gemini8026

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2002
Ok, heres what I want to do.

I want to have control over all the fans in my case but with just one knob. Im running 5 total fans. one in the front, rear, and top, as well as two on my watercooler rad.

I want to be able to quiet them down by limiting their speed. Is there a very simple way to do this. Is there some kind of potentiometer that can handle the power (run off the power supply, not the mobos power) or a cheap DIY way to do what I want to do?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yep. Rheostats.
Variable resistance thinggies.
I had 2 in my old rig... in serial to achieve a wide range of fan speeds.

the order of operation was:

PSU->rheostat1->rheostat2->rearcasefan& passthrough adaptor->graphics card fan & passthorugh adaptor-> cpu fan.

thus all 3 fans were controlled equally by 2 rheostats (though it could have easily been one)
They are easy enough to wire up, they just go on the red wire. the trick is doing a good job and finding one STRONG enough.

The ones i have were pretty weak... thats why i needed two in serial for decent fan speed reduction.

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol: </b>

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
If you want to control all of the fans together get a good rheostat an connect the fans to that in parralel. So you have all of the fan black wires connectded together to ground, and all the red wires connected together going through a rheostat to +12 or +5v.

mjjohn

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
For 5 fans you may need quite a large rheostat. Following is a cut from Cliff's 'fanbus.com'. For more info go to fanbus.com, click on 'The Lab' and at the bottom of the page ' rheostat tutorial'.

First off, rheostats (or rheostat-like devices) allow you to infinitely vary the speed of a fan between it's maximum speed and some arbitrary minimum speed determined by the fan's specifications. In order to accomplish this, a rheostat acts as a variable resistor. In other words, the rheostat is essentially a valve for electrical current, impeding the electrons from reaching the fan or device. The excess voltage is usually dissipated in the form of heat. The terms rheostat and potentiometer refer to the same type of device, differing mostly in terms of arrangement of the terminals.

Regardless of the name you give them, a variable resistor is what you get. Since this business of reducing a fan's spin rate is what's pertinent, we care mostly about two factors: Capacity and Ohm rating.

The capacity of a rheostat is given in Watts. This number tells you how much juice the device will take before some type of failure is imminent. Since most rheostats or pots are constructed using a wiper that contacts a semiconducting trace of some sort, the interface between the wiper and substrate becomes the weakest link. This is an inherent reason why most rheostats and pots are relatively low wattage devices. In order to find out how much wattage your 12 volt fan draws or produces, multiply the voltage (Volts) times the current draw (Amps).

Watts = Volts x Amps

Example: Watts = 12 Volts x 500mA x (1Amp/1000mA)

Watts = 6

In this example, a 12 volt fan draws 500 milliamps. Since the formula requires Amps, we make the conversion to Amps before multiplying. I point this out since most fans are labeled in milliamps (mA) rather than Amps. To simplify further, just hang a decimal point in front of mA to get the corresponding Amps for the calculation.

Don't try to confuse yourself with overcomplicating things. Yes, a fan that is hooked up to a rheostat won't be receiving the full 12 volts, so the wattage at lower voltages will be less, but this is putting the cart before the horse. Use the full 12 volts when determining the wattage of your fan.

Once you have determined the wattage or power of the fan, you are halfway there. The next step is determining just how much resistance to add to the circuit to give you the range of reduction you require. This is not quite so straightforward, but it can be accomplished.

In general, each fan will have three voltages associated with it: A starting voltage, a sustain voltage and a full voltage (or rated voltage). Each fan differs somewhat in these values, and can usually be ascertained from the manufacturer. The starting voltage is the minimum voltage required to get the fan starting initially from a dead stop. The sustain voltage is the minimum voltage required to keep the fan spinning at it's slowest rate. Note that the sustain voltage will always be less than the starting voltage , since the starting voltage must overcome the inertia and static friction of the motor's bearings. The full voltage or rated voltage is the full 12 volts in virtually every computer case application. Most fans will run at higher voltages, at the cost of longevity.

Ideally, you would like the rheostat to control the fan between its maximum voltage (high) and its sustain voltage (low). In other words, you would like to be able to use the full range of the rheostat to control the fan. It is not imperative that the fan be able to start itself when the rheostat is turned fully down, since we can turn the fan up to start it and then turn it down all the way after it is spinning. If we limit the rheostat to the starting voltage at minimum turn, we are not getting the full range of RPM's out of the fan and rheostat.

A rheostat, as discussed earlier, is simply a variable resistor. It will deliver a full amount of voltage (almost no resistance) at maximum turn, and some smaller voltage at minimum turn depending on the Ohm Rating of the rheostat. The voltage delivered across a resistor is based upon Ohm's Law.

Ohm's Law: Volts = Amps x Ohms

In other words, the amount of voltage delivered across a circuit is proportional to the current draw (in Amps) of the device and the resistance encountered (in Ohms).

If we rearrange this equation using some simple algebra, we can say that

Ohms = Volts / Amps

What we really care about is not the starting voltage and ending voltage, but the Voltage Drop encountered between the two. In order to figure out what kind of resistance value we need, we need to consider the amount the voltage drops, and what kind of resistance is required to make this happen. So again rewriting the equation, we get:

Ohms = (VoltageMax - VoltageMin) / Amps

This is the "magic formula" that so many of you have asked me for. You may recognize this as the same equation used for figuring the resistor needed for an LED. Same concept, really. Here we go:

Let's say that the manufacturer of the fan I used as an example earlier states that his fan draws 500mA, and the sustain voltage is 7 volts. So plugging into the equation above we get:

Ohms = (12Volts - 7Volts)/.5Amps

Ohms = 10

There you have it. The voltage drop is what we are concerned with, and a resistance value of 10 Ohms should give us that voltage drop. In this example, with this fictitious fan, a rheostat that is rated for 10 Ohms and 6 Watts would give us the range we need at the power requirement for reliability.

Logic goes away if it is not the first or seemingly obvious answer to a problem. :eek:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
heh. thats pretty interesting.
Im figuring i was running my rheo's near their limit... they were gettin so warm i got two 1" square passive heatsinks with sticky backs and attached the to the rear of each rheo so they wouldnt overheat. Ghetto, but effective :)

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol: </b>

mjjohn

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
A better way to control the fans, and I found this after I made my bus, is to use a voltage regulator IC. A better control - regulating voltage instead of current. And, you only need a 1/4 watt pot up front and the regulator/heatsink can be placed anywhere in your case.

link to pic and instructions. http://casemods.pointofnoreturn.org/vregtut/

Also check out

http://www.procooling.com/articles/html/quiet_fans_-_power_control_met.shtml

for more info on this.

My next project.

Logic goes away if it is not the first or seemingly obvious answer to a problem. :eek:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can get large Rheostats for speaker systems at places that carry those parts. They can handle quite a load.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>