toddb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004

when you print to file and create a .pm file, what do you use to open those
files later? please help. tb

Byte

Go to the "DOS Prompt" or the "Command Prompt"
(Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt)
Assuming that the file you're about to print is called my_chart.prn and your
printer is connected to LPT1: (parallel port number one), type:

COPY my_chart.prn LPT1 /B

Press Enter and it will print to your default printer on LPT1
--
XP-WNP
Today is the first day of the

"toddb" wrote:

> when you print to file and create a .pm file, what do you use to open those
> files later? please help. tb

toddb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004

Thanks for the info but is there any way to just view these files? tb

"Byte" wrote:

> Go to the "DOS Prompt" or the "Command Prompt"
> (Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt)
> Assuming that the file you're about to print is called my_chart.prn and your
> printer is connected to LPT1: (parallel port number one), type:
>
> COPY my_chart.prn LPT1 /B
>
> Press Enter and it will print to your default printer on LPT1
> --
> XP-WNP
> Today is the first day of the
> rest of your life.
>

> "toddb" wrote:
>
> > when you print to file and create a .pm file, what do you use to open those
> > files later? please help. tb

Byte

Yes, replace the word COPY with TYPE (do not use LPT1)
i.e. TYPE my_chart.prn
--
XP-WNP
Today is the first day of the

"toddb" wrote:

> Thanks for the info but is there any way to just view these files? tb
>
> "Byte" wrote:
>
> > Go to the "DOS Prompt" or the "Command Prompt"
> > (Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt)
> > Assuming that the file you're about to print is called my_chart.prn and your
> > printer is connected to LPT1: (parallel port number one), type:
> >
> > COPY my_chart.prn LPT1 /B
> >
> > Press Enter and it will print to your default printer on LPT1
> > --
> > XP-WNP
> > Today is the first day of the
> > rest of your life.
> >

> > "toddb" wrote:
> >
> > > when you print to file and create a .pm file, what do you use to open those
> > > files later? please help. tb

A printer file is just what the name implies. It contains a data stream
that will result in the printer producing a page image without further
intervention by Windows or the printer driver. Since it is basically the
printer driver output, its physical appearance depends on the printer
type. As such, it is difficult to predict if it will be intelligible to a
typical reader unless the printer type is known. At best (in this context)
it might look like snippets of regular text mixed with undecipherable
gibberish.

That being said, there is nothing to prevent you opening the file in
WordPad, Notepad, or other text editor or word processor and having a
look.

If the printer file was intended for a HP laser or HP JL compatible using
a PCL driver, try opening it in a graphics application.

By the way, to print the file, the printer connected to lpt1 must be the
same printer as, or a printer compatible with, the printer driver for the
printer specified when the file was made.

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

"toddb" <toddb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: Thanks for the info but is there any way to just view these files? tb
:
: "Byte" wrote:
:
: > Go to the "DOS Prompt" or the "Command Prompt"
: > (Start>All Programs>Accessories>Command Prompt)
: > Assuming that the file you're about to print is called my_chart.prn
and your
: > printer is connected to LPT1: (parallel port number one), type:
: >
: > COPY my_chart.prn LPT1 /B
: >
: > Press Enter and it will print to your default printer on LPT1
: > --
: > XP-WNP
: > Today is the first day of the
: > rest of your life.