overclocking with liquid hydrogen

iggy2k

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2002
apparently, a lot of people use liquid hydrogen to cool their pcs, albiet it for a short time.

i refer to this article, in the second paragraph - http://www17.tomshardware.com/cpu/20021216/p4_41-23.html

where tom seems to be quite chuffed that hes overclocked better than people who use liquid hydrogen. which should be a simple matter, seeing as anyone actually stupid enough to use liquid hydrogen has a VERY short life span ahead of them.

what with it being used as rocket propellant and all.

perhaps he meant liquid nitrogen?

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
Liquid hydrogen is colder so maybe perhaps it has been used as well... I know that it can be used as an effective coolant in hospitals for the NMR scanners. But yes he probably did mean Nitrogen. I have noticed than a number of the recent articles have contained a great number of simple mistakes which is dissapointing from such a good review site.

Tim

<font color=blue>Its winter now... So how come my CPU temp is still </font color=blue><b><font color=red>55C</font color=red></b>

iggy2k

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2002
fair point, but theres a slight differencebetween using liquid hydrogen in a highly controlled environment, and some mad overclocker pouring in a cup taped to a cpu to keep it cool.
the difference is called 'combustion' :)

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
lol...I seriuosly doubt anyone is using LH2 for OC'ing. Access to this stuff isn't that easy to get. I work for a company that produces cryogenic gases. I think the cost alone would prevent someone from getting this stuff. LN2 is relatively cheap and much safer than LH2.

...ummm...sorry, I forgot what I was going to say...