I have windows xp and all the settings for the fax. I am on cable modem with
VOIP....Voice Over IP.
No matter how many times I set my fax console I can't get it to work. It
always says the phone line was busy.

A fax only will work on a standard phone line. The packets on VOIP probably
mess it up.

"bklyngirl" <bklyngirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have windows xp and all the settings for the fax. I am on cable modem
>with
> VOIP....Voice Over IP.
> No matter how many times I set my fax console I can't get it to work. It
> always says the phone line was busy.

Thanks you're probably right

"Dennis Marks" wrote:

> A fax only will work on a standard phone line. The packets on VOIP probably
> mess it up.
>
> "bklyngirl" <bklyngirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have windows xp and all the settings for the fax. I am on cable modem
> >with
> > VOIP....Voice Over IP.
> > No matter how many times I set my fax console I can't get it to work. It
> > always says the phone line was busy.

Byte

Many users don't realize that faxing is a function that can only use analog
phone lines and analog fax modems. Accordingly, no fax software will
function with cable modems or DSL lines. With some DSL connections you can
obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard analog voice
line to the DSL line and can then connect an analog fax modem to that line.

If you have no analog modem or phone line, you will need to use a fee based
Internet Fax Service like is listed here: http://www.savetz.com/fax/
XP-WNP
Today is the first day of the
rest of your life.

"bklyngirl" wrote:

> I have windows xp and all the settings for the fax. I am on cable modem with
> VOIP....Voice Over IP.
> No matter how many times I set my fax console I can't get it to work. It
> always says the phone line was busy.

Oh I see....well I have a cable modem been using it for years and now I just
got that VOIP service. So I guess it was best using my phone fax instaed of
the internet.
Thank you

"Byte" wrote:

> Many users don't realize that faxing is a function that can only use analog
> phone lines and analog fax modems. Accordingly, no fax software will
> function with cable modems or DSL lines. With some DSL connections you can
> obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard analog voice
> line to the DSL line and can then connect an analog fax modem to that line.
>
> If you have no analog modem or phone line, you will need to use a fee based
> Internet Fax Service like is listed here: http://www.savetz.com/fax/
> XP-WNP
> Today is the first day of the
> rest of your life.
>

> "bklyngirl" wrote:
>
> > I have windows xp and all the settings for the fax. I am on cable modem with
> > VOIP....Voice Over IP.
> > No matter how many times I set my fax console I can't get it to work. It
> > always says the phone line was busy.

Here's a little more info on the subject:

http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/FAQFAX.htm#_Toc88835157
27. Can I use my "Fax capable" Cell phone; Fax Equipped ISDN adapter; VoIP
(Broadband) Telephone service with XP Fax?

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

> Oh I see....well I have a cable modem been using it for years and now I
just
> got that VOIP service. So I guess it was best using my phone fax instaed
of
> the internet.
> Thank you
>
> "Byte" wrote:
>
> > Many users don't realize that faxing is a function that can only use
analog
> > phone lines and analog fax modems. Accordingly, no fax software will
> > function with cable modems or DSL lines. With some DSL connections you
can
> > obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard analog voice
> > line to the DSL line and can then connect an analog fax modem to that
line.

> > If you have no analog modem or phone line, you will need to use a fee
based
> > Internet Fax Service like is listed here: http://www.savetz.com/fax/
> > --
> > --
> > XP-WNP
> > Today is the first day of the
> > rest of your life.
> >

> > "bklyngirl" wrote:
> >
> > > I have windows xp and all the settings for the fax. I am on cable
modem with
> > > VOIP....Voice Over IP.
> > > No matter how many times I set my fax console I can't get it to work.
It
> > > always says the phone line was busy.

I gave up already. I had my phone fax which worked great until I got voice
over IP it stopped the fax from working. I'm going to just call my cable
company to see what they have to say. Thanks all for your help. I appreciate
it.