need help adding global DEFAULT printer for all users on X..

Tags:
  • Printers
  • Windows XP
September 16, 2005 11:58:02 AM

I've managed to add a network printer to pc for all users using the following
command:

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ga /n"\\server name\printer name

but when I try to make it the DEFAULT PRINTER for all users on that pc using
the
rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /y /n"\server name\printer name
it only adds the printer for the currently logged on user.

PLEASE HELP ME. I'VE ALSO TRIED LOGIN SCRIPTS, BUT THAT'S BEEN LESS
SUCCESSFUL.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP RENDERED!!!:)

More about : adding global default printer users

Anonymous
September 16, 2005 2:46:03 PM

Hi, you might want to look up another post for the same thing. The subject is
"Set default printer", is dated 8/1/2005 2:25 PM PST and is from Bruce
Sanderson, MVP Printing.

Essentially, Bruce is sayint that "The default printer setting is per user
(part of the user's profile)... You may want to put the "rundll32
printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /y /n printername" command into a logon script or in
a command file in the All Users\Startup folder.

Marc

"Bewildered IT girl" wrote:

> I've managed to add a network printer to pc for all users using the following
> command:
>
> rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /ga /n"\\server name\printer name
>
> but when I try to make it the DEFAULT PRINTER for all users on that pc using
> the
> rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /y /n"\server name\printer name
> it only adds the printer for the currently logged on user.
>
> PLEASE HELP ME. I'VE ALSO TRIED LOGIN SCRIPTS, BUT THAT'S BEEN LESS
> SUCCESSFUL.
>
> THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP RENDERED!!!:)
April 18, 2008 12:47:11 PM

Thanks for the script that u have posted. That is working fine for me.

For testing i have configured around 6 printers from my print server. so each login i am getting 6 printers. i have to delete other printer manualluy each and every time.

so could you please tell me the command for deleting the printers from alluser profiles.
April 18, 2008 2:32:51 PM

Sorry for the mess.
I got the script for deleting the printer by the following command:

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /gd /n"\\server name\printer name

But the problem is that, i am unable to add/remove printer without the admin rights. kindly helme ASAP.

since it is a .bat file i am unable to use the RUNAS opetion also.

!