Can't get Outpost 2.0 to work on ICS computer

I had Outpost installed on one computer in a small network and liked it so
much that I got another copy to run on the ICS machine. But I can't seem
to get it configured properly to allow internet connection sharing. Once I
install it, the othe computers on the network can no longer access the
internet (I had at one time used Norton PFW on the ICS computer and it
worked fine right out of the box). This ICS computer is running WinXP Pro
and has 2 NICs (one connected to cable modem, other connected to LAN hub).

Any ideas?

TIA for advice.

James

James Bond <jbond@ue.com> wrote in

> I had Outpost installed on one computer in a small network and liked
> it so much that I got another copy to run on the ICS machine. But I
> can't seem to get it configured properly to allow internet connection
> sharing. Once I install it, the othe computers on the network can no
> longer access the internet (I had at one time used Norton PFW on the
> ICS computer and it worked fine right out of the box). This ICS
> computer is running WinXP Pro and has 2 NICs (one connected to cable
> modem, other connected to LAN hub).
>
> Any ideas?
>
> TIA for advice.
>
> James

It's just my take on it but why mess around with the XP O/S and ICS as some
kind of gateway device. Why not go with a NAT router as the gateway device
for the LAN and WAN and you can plug the HUB into the router's UPlink port.
The router can control and protect 255 computers. It provides better
protection from the Internet and cost as much as PFW solution.

However, if you choose not to go in that direction, then I suggests you
implement IPsec to supplement the PFW as the PFW can be disabled, knocked
out of the box and circumvented easily. It's kind of hard taking out IPsec
or two of them. IPsec can do it all inbound or outbound by port, protocol,
IP and gets to the TCP/IP first.

http://www.petri.co.il/block_ping_traffic_with_ipsec.htm

IPsec is enabled on all machines behind the NAT router, along with BlackIce
-- in your case Outpost. But that's if all your machines are Win 2K or
better.

You may want to *harden* a little more.

http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php

You talk about how can you trust the TCP/IP scans, you shouldn't have to
bother with them, maybe as a courtesy to yourself. :)

Duane :)