Hey everyone. This my first time posting. I just joined.

I have just spent about 2 hours at work trying to get printers
networked for our computers. We have about 8 computers and 4 printers.
I have a "cheat book" called XP for Dummies that I bet some of you have
seen. I scoured that book for solutions when I ran into problems but
didn't find any help. So I did a Google search for help in networking
printers and this website came up! Kind of cool.

Anyway, I finally got the computers networked but tried to get the
printers to work on 2 computers and kept getting this message that I
had either put in the wrong printer name or the printer wasn't hooked
up to the network. I KNOW that I had the right name for the printers
and I wasn't punching it in wrong either.

What am I doing wrong? :confused:

I had gone thru "Add a Printer" and selected the option of installing
it as a network printer. I got so frustrated that I just gave up but I
need to fix them tomorrow. Can anyone help? Denise

--
xpnewbie

This article has step by step directions for adding and sharing network
printers.

How to Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home Edition (PART 8)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=814005

You may also want to go through the steps on networking the computers to be
sure that this part is done correctly.

PattyL

"xpnewbie" <xpnewbie.1vkvps@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> Hey everyone. This my first time posting. I just joined.
>
> I have just spent about 2 hours at work trying to get printers
> networked for our computers. We have about 8 computers and 4 printers.
> I have a "cheat book" called XP for Dummies that I bet some of you have
> seen. I scoured that book for solutions when I ran into problems but
> didn't find any help. So I did a Google search for help in networking
> printers and this website came up! Kind of cool.
>
> Anyway, I finally got the computers networked but tried to get the
> printers to work on 2 computers and kept getting this message that I
> had either put in the wrong printer name or the printer wasn't hooked
> up to the network. I KNOW that I had the right name for the printers
> and I wasn't punching it in wrong either.
>
> What am I doing wrong? :confused:
>
> I had gone thru "Add a Printer" and selected the option of installing
> it as a network printer. I got so frustrated that I just gave up but I
> need to fix them tomorrow. Can anyone help? Denise
>

> --
> xpnewbie

If you have XP Home you're running into the 5 connections per PC limitation.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging