networking printers

Hey everyone. This my first time posting. I just joined.

I have just spent about 2 hours at work trying to get printers
networked for our computers. We have about 8 computers and 4 printers.
I have a "cheat book" called XP for Dummies that I bet some of you have
seen. I scoured that book for solutions when I ran into problems but
didn't find any help. So I did a Google search for help in networking
printers and this website came up! Kind of cool.

Anyway, I finally got the computers networked but tried to get the
printers to work on 2 computers and kept getting this message that I
had either put in the wrong printer name or the printer wasn't hooked
up to the network. I KNOW that I had the right name for the printers
and I wasn't punching it in wrong either.

What am I doing wrong? :confused:

I had gone thru "Add a Printer" and selected the option of installing
it as a network printer. I got so frustrated that I just gave up but I
need to fix them tomorrow. Can anyone help? Denise

--
xpnewbie
2 answers Last reply

    This article has step by step directions for adding and sharing network
    printers.

    How to Set Up a Small Network with Windows XP Home Edition (PART 8)
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=814005

    You may also want to go through the steps on networking the computers to be
    sure that this part is done correctly.

    PattyL

    "xpnewbie" <xpnewbie.1vkvps@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Hey everyone. This my first time posting. I just joined.
    >
    > I have just spent about 2 hours at work trying to get printers
    > networked for our computers. We have about 8 computers and 4 printers.
    > I have a "cheat book" called XP for Dummies that I bet some of you have
    > seen. I scoured that book for solutions when I ran into problems but
    > didn't find any help. So I did a Google search for help in networking
    > printers and this website came up! Kind of cool.
    >
    > Anyway, I finally got the computers networked but tried to get the
    > printers to work on 2 computers and kept getting this message that I
    > had either put in the wrong printer name or the printer wasn't hooked
    > up to the network. I KNOW that I had the right name for the printers
    > and I wasn't punching it in wrong either.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong? :confused:
    >
    > I had gone thru "Add a Printer" and selected the option of installing
    > it as a network printer. I got so frustrated that I just gave up but I
    > need to fix them tomorrow. Can anyone help? Denise
    >

    > --
    > xpnewbie

    If you have XP Home you're running into the 5 connections per PC limitation.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "xpnewbie" <xpnewbie.1vkvps@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Hey everyone. This my first time posting. I just joined.
    >
    > I have just spent about 2 hours at work trying to get printers
    > networked for our computers. We have about 8 computers and 4 printers.
    > I have a "cheat book" called XP for Dummies that I bet some of you have
    > seen. I scoured that book for solutions when I ran into problems but
    > didn't find any help. So I did a Google search for help in networking
    > printers and this website came up! Kind of cool.
    >
    > Anyway, I finally got the computers networked but tried to get the
    > printers to work on 2 computers and kept getting this message that I
    > had either put in the wrong printer name or the printer wasn't hooked
    > up to the network. I KNOW that I had the right name for the printers
    > and I wasn't punching it in wrong either.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong? :confused:
    >
    > I had gone thru "Add a Printer" and selected the option of installing
    > it as a network printer. I got so frustrated that I just gave up but I
    > need to fix them tomorrow. Can anyone help? Denise
    >

    > --
    > xpnewbie

Computers Networking Printers Windows XP