How easy is it to crush AMD die?

CaptainNemo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Just installed a stock heatsink on to an XP 2100+ with very thin layers of thermal gunk on each piece. Can I sleep easy tonight, or have I crushed the poor thing?

uther

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2002
The sink should clamp down pretty hard and if you did not spread your paste evenly, or put on too much (even though you might think it was just a little :) ), it will squish out the sides. Just watch your CPU temps carefully and you will know very quickly whether you istalled it correctly or not.

CaptainNemo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I used one of CoolerMaster's templates for the sink and the layer of gunk of the die was almost transparent; there isn't much of a cushion really. Anyway; it just seems rather odd to rely on the sink/retaining clip being made properly instead of some fine thumbscrew clamp thing with lots of feedback.

svol

Champion
If you install the HSF normally there is almost no risc. But if you start swinging the HSF side to side and that kind of things when installed your core can easely break at the edges.

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!
--- PM me for information.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
no. A very thin layer of thermal grease is GOOD.

The gunk is just mean to fill the microscopic gaps, not act as an inch thick buffer.
And if you installed the heatsink correctly you should have zero problems.

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol: </b>

CaptainNemo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Heh - I just heard a nasty crunch noise, but it must have been the latch grinding on the socket plastic.

Anyway, it's running now and I have a heartbeat - I removed the metal grills on my four fan holes (Aopen H600A is a super budget case) and the CPU is idling at 40 degrees (C) according to the MSI board (case temp is 25 degrees (C)).

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well if its working then yes!

Good temps you have there man. well done. Enjoy

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol: </b>