Repeated New Hardware Wizard Printer Detection

September 20, 2005 8:26:01 PM

Microsoft KB 298730 offers a solution to the problem of repeated Launching of
New Hardware Wizard Printer Detection by deleting the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\LPTENUM. This key cannot be
deleted, as error message comes up "Error in deleting". Has anyone solved the
problem of getting rid of the pesky launch OR successfully deleting the key??
November 15, 2006 6:06:54 PM

Go into "Safe Mode" and as Administrator you should be able to delete the key.
November 16, 2006 2:23:40 PM

that kb id is either invalid or private, i can't find anything on it on the ms website, can you post a link to it or something?
March 11, 2007 7:30:50 AM

Howdy,
I am experiencing the exact same annoying New Hardware Wizard popping up when there is no need to install a new printer. I saw the Microsoft bulletin suggesting the deletion of the H_KEY. I can't delete it using regedit.exe.

I also tried unsuccessfully:
started up in safe mode with command prompt,
logged in as administrator,
typed "regedit" at the prompt
located the H_KEY...CurrentControlSet\Enum\LPTENUM,
clicked delete, and confirmed delete
Response: "cannot delete LPTENUM: error while deleting key."

What's going on? How was this issue resolved in the past series of posts? I would expect a wrap up message or thanks or some other conclusion.
cheers,

Microsoft's bulletin:
<!-- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298370/en-us#appliesto

To use Registry Editor to remove the damaged registry key, follow these steps:
1. Log on to your computer by using an administrator account.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
4. Locate and click the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\LPTENUM
5. Right-click the registry key, and then click Delete.
6. Under Confirm Key Delete, click Yes.
7. Close Registry Editor, and then restart your computer.
When Windows XP restarts, it will detect the printer and install support for it. After the printer is installed, it will no longer be detected each time you
start Windows XP. -->

my system specs:
Win XP prof; CPU Intel Pentium 4 1.8 GHz; 1.79GHz 512 MB RAM; printer Canon Pixma MP450 scan/copy/scan; Sony digital camera DSC_S600 6.0 Mpx; 5 1/2 yr old Panasonic camcorder; these are working fine, but I recently changed the defective firewire (IEEE 1394 cable) for the camcorder.
!