How to setup a shared printer network in windows.

a b F Wireless
September 21, 2005 9:06:43 AM

I have three wireless laptops connected to a wireless linksys
cable/wireless modem. Also one desktop pc connected to the same modem
through a nic card and LAN cable. I want to set up a printer, HP
PSC2400 at the moment but that could change, so that any PC can print
on it. How do I go about doing that? Does the printer have to be USB
cabled to one of the PC's?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 21, 2005 1:50:09 PM

You can get a print server like
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=...

Then the printer is connected to the print server, rather than one of the
PCs, which may or may not be present at the time the others need to print!

--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

<intersurfa@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have three wireless laptops connected to a wireless linksys
> cable/wireless modem. Also one desktop pc connected to the same modem
> through a nic card and LAN cable. I want to set up a printer, HP
> PSC2400 at the moment but that could change, so that any PC can print
> on it. How do I go about doing that? Does the printer have to be USB
> cabled to one of the PC's?

September 21, 2005 5:59:48 PM

No is the answer to your question.
The printer does not have to be connected to a PC if you have the
appropriate hardware.
There are USB printservers that will operate on a wireless network. Mine has
both a USB and a parallel port.
Other possibilities include routers with a printer port, and a Maxtor
ethernet hard drive with an accessory USB port that can be used as a USB
printer or additional USB HD port. Since Laptops traditionally have rather
small hard drives, the Maxtor might be an attractive solution. There can be
problems with printer drivers and wireless/wired printservers. Usually, the
problems are associated with a printer "monitor" module, and the use of the
module is actually optional.

!