Sharing a printer between 2 computers on a home network

I have 2 machines on a router which provides my broadband access. One of the
machines is a desktop with XP Professional, the other a laptop with XP Home
Edition. The desktop is connected via Ethernet and the laptop via wireless.

I have a printer on the desktop that I would like to share with the laptop.
I have shared the printer and checked that printers are included in the
firewall exceptions. I can even browse with explorer on the laptop and see
the printer. However when I try to select or get access to the printer from
the laptop I get a message like "Operation cannot be completed. Either the
printer name is typed incorrectly or the specified printer has lost
connection to the server"

I did try putting the printer on the laptop and sharing with the desktop.
It worked with no problems.

Any suggestions on what else I can look at or try?

Bernie
1 answer Last reply
More about sharing printer computers home network

    Consider asking the question on a networking news group if you have not
    already done so.

    Server: msnews.microsoft.com
    Group: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web

    Clickable link:
    NEWS://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsxp.newtprk_web
    Clicking on the link will set up an NNTP client such as Outlook Express,
    if installed, to set up to show and post to the group in the link.

    This is one reference but possibly somewhat limited for your need.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814005

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User

[...]