OC'ed my CPU - messed up my OS

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Ohk guys, I'm having a real problem here and its pissing me off already - and yes, I know this should be in the software section, but I've had like 7 views in there, and I know someone can help. I've got WinXP Pro on my computer & decided to just test out temps overclocking my Athlon 1600 to 1.57GHz, since I'm only half-way through modding my case. CPU still "locked", I brought the FSB up to 150Mhz and then saved and exited my BIOS, only to get to the first Win XP menu (you know, where it asks for the password for each user), and instead of showing the users and password prompts, it shows the WinXP logo on the blue background and stops there... but doesn't freeze, because the mouse still works. I restart at 133FSB to no avail, prompting me this time to chose to start in "Safe mode", "Safe with networking", "safe with prompt", "previously working settings" or "normally". I've tried every single option, including changing the sequence of the boot devices, and nothing works... HELP PLEASE... 'caus now I'm stuck using the other computers (MMX@200 + P1@166), and can't do anything except hope you guys can help.

Staggering out of the shower this morning, I hear the hair-dryer. "Whose awake?" I think... Till I realize its my computer - talk about a windtunnel

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Wellcome to the world of FSB overclocking... a perilious place.

something has obviously been seriously screwed due to the high FSB... the best way to go forward is to do a complete reinstall.

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol: </b>

svol

Champion
What memory do you have? It could be that at that FSB the memory started to create errors and screwed op some system files. This wont say that your memory is gone bad but you can test it with Memtest86 to see if it still runs stable: <A HREF="http://www.memtest86.com" target="_new">http://www.memtest86.com</A>.

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!
--- PM me for information.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
I've got 512mb Samsung PC2700, which has (not by me) alreadfy been tested by a few people to run perfectly in an OC'ed environment... Thanks for the mem-test link, but I think I'm gonna do what I've been meaning to for a while anyways - back up all my important files onto my other harddrives and just format the disk.

Staggering out of the shower this morning, I hear the hair-dryer. "Whose awake?" I think... Till I realize its my computer - talk about a windtunnel

svol

Champion
PC2700 should run at 166MHz with no problem... so it is 99.9% sure that it is not caused by the memory.

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!
--- PM me for information.