Sign in with
Your question

Tbred XP1700+ A nice cheap Xmas prezzie

Last response: in Overclocking
December 26, 2002 10:03:45 AM

What a nice conclusion.
Just before christmas i got myself a tbredA XP1700+ for a little more cpu 'grunt'

By slowly and thouroughly testing the little sucker out i found:

A. It comes multiplier unlocked up to 12.5x
B. My board (8K3A+) runs fine at 166fsb, opening up high fsb operation with PCI/AGP speeds within spec.
C. the following speed/voltage characteristics.
1500mhz @ 1.400v
1583mhz @ 1.425v
1666mhz @ 1.500v
1750mhz $ 1.557v
1833mhz @ 1.700v

25% OC for a rediculously small $$$ outlay.
The little beauty is kept cool with a Big-ass MCX-462 topped off with a uber quiet Panaflo 1900rpm 80mm fan.
I would mention the temps it runs at, but this board waaay overreads the internal diode temps and i dont want to explain things to people who whine at me that "they are too high!"
Suffice to say 1833Mhz is truly rock stable even at full load on a hot day.
(Christmas is hot here in Australia)

Conclusion:
Tbred XP1700+, a little gem.

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol:  </b>
December 27, 2002 3:42:03 PM

Sounds like a great deal! I've been thinking of getting 1 of these and now I placed the order for it. I'm curious about what I can push it to. I only have pc2100 ddr and a kt266a chipset. I'm hoping for a good balance between cpu and fsb increase... 12x145 or in that area. Nothing too extreme just a modest boost. Well, I'll find out soon enough.
Thanks for the info LHGPooBaa.

"It's my sexy zoo and I can do whatever I want." - Frank O'Hara
December 28, 2002 2:27:39 AM

mmm yes thats an idea, though watch for problems with the elivated AGP/PCI speed.
Even if you dont change the FSB you can easy do 12.5x133 = 1666mhz (XP2000 speed)

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol:  </b>
Related resources
January 8, 2003 3:04:44 AM

running my 1700+ tbred A at 12x144 right now. everything seems stable. Increased vcore by .175 (with a +.02 overvolt through the board) so it's at about 1.70.
overall system specs:
cpu @ 1736 mhz
shuttle ak31 rev3.1 kt 266a mobo
2 sticks 256mb Crucial pc2100 @cas 2 (2,2,5,2 timings)
Leadtek gf3 ti200 oc'd to 225core/285mem
wd8oojb hdd

3dmark took a nice boost over my palomino 1700+ running at 11.5x140. old score was around 8108, new is 8595.
cpu temps are averaging 36C under a volcano9 with temp sensor control. the palomino averaged 40C.
definatley worth $57 to newegg.

January 8, 2003 3:43:58 AM

mmmm, looks like a very nice result you have there. Congrats :smile:

You may be able to squeeze more performance out of it with lower multipliers and huger bus speeds, but you may start getting PCI/AGP problems if your bus speed gets any higher.
Shame you dont have a kt333. ahh well.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>
January 8, 2003 8:44:27 AM

blimey!that is one hell of an overclock.I have only managed to get my xp 2000 to 1775MHz stably (12.5X142) but it is a palomino.still, i didn't realise the tbred was so much better.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]
January 8, 2003 9:17:51 AM

Yeah, a nice 25%, plus the ability to use 166fsb and the advantages that brings.

Well the unlocked multipliers certainly help.
As does getting a certain week and type of Tbred. Not all are good.
The TbredA 2200+'s are downright crap for overclocking, but its much better (and cheaper) to get the 1700+ or the 1800+ as they are virtually the same, just run slower at a lower voltage.

The XP2400+ is also meant to overclock quite well, possibly the best TbredB.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>
January 8, 2003 3:03:47 PM

I got a 1600+ and OC'd it to 1800 mhz stable. I think that the 1700 and the 1600 OC to the same speeds from what I've heard. I had to unlock mine to get it up there though. The 1700 has the benefit of a higher default multiplier.

The English are not a very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity. -George Bernard Shaw
January 8, 2003 5:39:25 PM

my core is the same as yours, aiuga, though I dind't pay attention ot the week, etc when I put it in. how high would be too high for voltage? the only problem I've encountered is that it won't reboot. I can power down and then restart but a soft reboot fails. I'll increase the vcore by +.200 tonight to see if that helps but I'm reluctant to go higher. I'd lower my settings before trying to pump too much more juice into it.

January 8, 2003 8:17:00 PM

Actually my core is slightly different, an 'AUIRA' not a 'AIUGA'. (Unless that was a typo). Who knows what the OC differences are.

Regarding your core voltage and soft rebooting, self discression is best here. Depending on your type of cooling is proabably the best way to determine the max voltage you should use.

Im usign a mcx-462, but with a slow and quiet fan, so im limiting myself to 1.70v, maybe 1.75 in winter. If i used a super-dooper delta screamer i might try up to 1.85v.

Regarding the softreboot problem, taht could be due to insufficient voltage, but it culd also be due to bios glitches or a not quite perfect power supply and/or regulation.
If the cpu is stable in everything it does i would try a bit more, see if that helps any.

Another thing i found interesting was how different voltages give quasi-stable overclocks.

Take for example my cpu OC'ed to 1833mhz (11x167):
@ 1.600v it would sieze up immidately after posting.
@ 1.625v it would last a little longer, getting into the windows boot process before bluescreening.
@ 1.650v it was nominally stable, getting into windows and idling. Oddly enough prime95 worked at this voltage. Games however crashed back to the desktop quickly and divx encoding froze the system within 5 minutes.
@ 1.675v much the same happened. Toast & prime95 seems stable and accurate, but games kept crashing and divx was unreliable beyond 15minutes of running.
and finally
@ 1.700v it was fully stable, running everything for extended periods of time with no crashes or glitches. (2 weeks + now no problems)

So had i just relied on one program, prime95, i would have though 1.650 or 1.675v was stable when really it wasnt.

EDIT: For a short while i thought that even 1.7v was unstable, as NFS porsche kept crashing, but then i remembered it just didnt like running when i was connected to the internet & downloading stuff! :smile:

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lhgpoobaa on 01/08/03 05:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
January 8, 2003 8:21:45 PM

Grub, i assume your talking about the XP1600+ palomino, not the Tbred?

I could have got a XP1600 AGOIA myself, but i decided to get the 1700 Tbred as i had heard reports (true as it turned out) that they had unlocked multipliers. Not having to mess with unlocking it is a great relief.

January 8, 2003 8:42:59 PM

I have an ARNGA XP1600+ and currently running it at 1764mhz just fine. Did had it up to 1890mhz but I didn't really test to see how stable overall it was. I was pretty surprise to say the least since I was really let down when I got the ARNGA revision and was hoping for a AGOIA from NewEgg. In the end though it overclocks surperbly. Here are some tests I did when it was running at 1890mhz

<A HREF="http://home.cfl.rr.com/noko/coolness.gif" target="_new">Smoking!</A>
January 8, 2003 8:50:24 PM

you're right 'auira' is my core. (too many letters and abbreviations to keep track of sometimes.)
my power supply could be questionabe as it's a generic 350watt. I'm trying to monitor any fluctuations with mbm5, now. I haven't played any games as of yet so we'll see what that brings out. I've only been able to play with the chip for 3 days now so much of this may be premature and I may end up backing down on some settings to make everything happy considering my chipset limitatins.
thanks again for the help, much appreciated!

January 8, 2003 8:53:00 PM

not bad :smile:
Bummer about them giving you the wrong core code.
I love my shop, they even told me exactly waht it was before i got it, down to the week number :smile:

January 8, 2003 9:09:33 PM

ahhh.
Yes, a good PSU is essential, especially when you start piling on the OC.
Even Tbreds suck quite alot of juice once the voltages increase.

Personally i would make sure everything is Uber stable at stock speeds before attempting anything fancy. And watch your 5v line as your Overclocks increase. It shouldnt get below 4.8v, or fluctuate much while under full load.
The difference between idle and full load on the 5v line also shouldnt be too great, like less than 0.1v

And i would test out lower overclocks first. I went up the multiplier scale, finding out what worked and what didnt for each speed step.

January 8, 2003 10:20:34 PM

My next step is to get the multiplier down so that I can get the fsb up to 200mhz and hopefully beyond. I have a new XP333-R mobo which has the broken multiplier problem (you can't have everything). Which means I have to take a knife to my processor and some conductive paint. . . Oh boy!
!