KT3 Ultra OC problem

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
I've got myslef an MSI KT3Ultra, and I was just testing it out for temperatures while overclocking it (its an Athlon 1600 OCed to 1.57 w/150MhzFSB), as I'm not done modding the case, and I ran into a problem. I finish the tweaking in the BIOS and save and exit it, and then the system restarts and only brings me to the second "startup" screen (you know, the one with the table of values, showing all the various speeds and settings for all the hardware) and freezes. Now, I'd love to know what this is. I've got two 80mm Vantec Tornado fans (one in front, one in back) and a Vantec Aeroflow for the CPU, for now, so it might be slight cooling issues. Touching the Northbridge while the FSB was at 150Mhz, I noticed that it was pretty hot in comparison to when FSB is at 133Mhz, but could that be the explanation? If someone can help, thanks.

Staggering out of the shower this morning, I hear the hair-dryer. "Whose awake?" I think... Till I realize its my computer - talk about a windtunnel

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Samsung PC2700 @ CAS2 ... its supposed to be overclockable withought a problem.

Staggering out of the shower this morning, I hear the hair-dryer. "Whose awake?" I think... Till I realize its my computer - talk about a windtunnel

svol

Champion
Well a hot NorthBirdge could cause emeory errors... Check if your memory runs stable with Memtest86.

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!
--- PM me for information.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Svol, I just downloaded Memtest86 and ran it through, and it indicated that I did have errors on "FFFFFBF" - now I don't know if that says anything in particular, but... And it listed that specific error on all memory locations as well. Now this is brand-new RAM, and I have no problem returning it should this actually be a problem or real errors, as I have read on MemTest's site that sometimes it picks-up non-existant or trivial errors... Is there a better way to test my RAM so I can figure-out if this is whats holding back my overclocking? I mean, the company I dealt with to get this RAM pisses me off enough already, and I'd love to be able to bitch a little more at them and try to milk somethng out of em... Thanks bytheway

svol

Champion
It could be that that is your BIOS or VGA BIOS being flashed in your RAM at bootup... you might disable this for your videocard BIOS... but I don't think it is possible for your normal one.
But if you only get one error always at the same time I don't think you have RAM instabilty... otherwise it would create errors ad random.

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Hmmm, maybe.. But same question as before - is there any other way, or perhaps somewhere i can send it to get it tested and diagnosed better than that ?

Ahhh! It's 2003 and wait, whats this!? My computer didn't blow up! ... Well damn, there goes my new Athlon @ 333FSB and my inssurance claim... heheheh

svol

Champion
Well you could try Norton Utilities 2001 or perhaps newer... it has a build in memory tester, but it is not very reliable.
Maybe running SiSoft Sandra Burn-In test (which also stresses memory) can help... and maybe Prime95 stresses memory too.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
I ran Sisoftware's Sandra burn-in test, with no results to be able to diagnose the problem... hmmmmmmmm, I think I'm going to try OCing by increments and then running SiSo Sandra again and again and see if I can pinpoint what fails... 'cause I've only been able to bring it up to 10.5 (its not unlocked) x 144FSB (and its an Athlon 1600 +)... [-peep-]... :(

Ahhh! It's 2003 and wait, whats this!? My computer didn't blow up! ... Well damn, there goes my new Athlon @ 333FSB and my inssurance claim... heheheh

svol

Champion
Do you know which core stepping that XP1600+ is?

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
no - how do i check?

svol

Champion
It is written on the core below the line AX[cpu model]... it is about 5 letters followed by 4 numbers and again some letters.