Reasonable operating temperature for Athlon XP

olrac

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2001
I Have an Athlon XP 2000+ and it operates at about 57-58 degrees in the bios and in the asus probe program. It is not overclocked. Should I be concerned? Some say it's perfectly normal some say its a bit too hot. I bought it retail so the fan came with it, it already had the paste on it(tape type) and I also have a case fan.

svol

Champion
I would first download the latest version of ASUS PCProbe or download MBM 5 as some versions of the PCProbe give a 10C higher temp then your CPu really runs at.
Anyway if your CPU runs at 58C full load and everything is stable there is nothing wrong... keep in mind that a high room temp means a higher CPU temp.

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!
--- PM me for information.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thats high for BIOS reading, should be at least 10c lower unless your case temps are high too.

Your CPU can go up 12c or more under load above your idle temps.

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>