OC help 2.4 P4PE

accursed

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
Ok- I admit it- this is a newbie question. I am playing around with my new rig. I have a 2.4B, Asus P4PE, and 512mb corsair XMS 3500. Have oced to 144 FSB- (2.59G with 2.525 vcore) while running Prime95 for the past two hours I am reading CPU temp of 45C on motherboard moniter 5. More is possible but I'm taking it slow- I am not trying to push my CPU to its limits but I am trying to get the memory hungry P4 to utilize its very expensive memory to its fullest. Questions: 1- Opinions vary widely but what is a safe full load CPU temp for my situation? 2- Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can more effectively utilize my memory besides increasing FSB? 3- What are some good torture tests for stability testing? Thanks for any help, A.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You have memory dividers in bios, with a FSB that low you can run the highest speed with that XMS PC3500. You can go with most agressive memory timing too. Change from "SPD" to 2-5-2-2, you can even try 1.5-5-2-2

If your hitting 45c then you are doing good, keeping the vcore down helps. When you sart breaking 50c you are getting too hot.

www.madonion.com has PCMark and 3Dmark free downloads to stress your PC and compare against others.

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
exactly, change the memory divider dram:cpu ratio.....your mobo should run stably to around 158 fsb at close to stock cpu voltages (1.5v).....which should allow you to reach at least ddr400 specs @ cas2 and you will see a big performance gain....if you do this much of an overclock to get the memory performance you are looking for I definately suggest a good hsf combo to keep cpu temps to a minimal.....my suggestion is either the swiftech mcx4000 w/ a thermaltake smartfanII or an alpha pal

Codinerx

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
You can also use Sisoft Sandra 2002 to test out your system, they have a nice burn in feature that will stress the computer very well. They also have benchmark guides to match your performance up against, although the accuracy of these tests is debatable...

Champion_Tufshop

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2002
i find runnning 3dmark and prime95 together for about 10hrs or so is a good measure of stability.

make sure you lock the agp/pci in spec and dont go over 1.7v ACTUAL (on my friends p4pe i found that that if you set BIOS voltage to 1.65, in reality it would be 1.7-1.71v, which is RIGHT at the limit...you can use asus pcprobe to check where your vcore is)

you can manually select the ram speed. Once you hit 133fsb, you can choose 266, 333, 400. Pick the one near 400mhz and see if its stable using memtest86. If it is, go higher if available.