Which Class to Be in WoW

oss43456

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
Hello guys so i am going to start playing WoW soon. I was wondering which class is best for me. For sure i do not want to be a healer or priest. I would like to get accepted into guilds easily and i want to do damage or be a tank. I also want to dungeon with my friends and they are DK, Rogue, Pali/Warrior, Druid. We really don't care if we have two tanks or more we just want to have fun and be beast. So what is a good class.

Generally it's a better idea to choose a class you find fun than what is best at the moment, as they are always rebalancing classes. One thing that has always held true, however, is that rogues are always good, especially for PvP, and Warriors are always overpowered if geared, but weak if not.

Being a good tank is harder than being a good damage character, and melee work a lot harder in raids than ranged classes, as they have to avoid taking melee hits.

In the past, hunters have always been the easiest to do decent dps and PvP, but also one of the hardest to compete at the high end of PvP.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Could never recommend Hunter for pvp interests since the change to focus resource. Class is only decent so long as it has an overpowered gimmick. RIP Season 7 glory days :(

oss43456

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

Yeah i want a class that is dps and tank.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

All of the tank classes have the ability to spec into dps as well. The Feral, Paladin and Warrior tank theorycrafting communities are stronger than the DK and Monk theorycrafting communities. That's something to consider since you're a new player.

oss43456

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

theorycrafting? But i want a melee class as well. Or at least a Druid.

oss43456

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

i mean i wouldn't mind healing and doing major dps at a time with a paladin. But full time healing is a no. And what is theorycrafting?

That means you take all the best gear, and run it through tools which can figure out the optimal skills and spells to cast in the most optimal way and tell you what your max DPS is.

oss43456

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

like the recount or whatever its called from curse.com? and so i wouldnt mind healing a LITTLE but full time healer is a no. What 3 classes would you reccomend.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Meh, those days are more or less over. Feral tank, Feral dps and Boomchicken dps are all specialized enough that most people are happy to see someone proficient at any one of those three specs, let alone multiple specs. You can go a long way on those three aspects without ever being a healing Tree druid.

Same could be said for Paladin, although if I'm to be honest Paladin tanking and dps'ing is so basic by comparison to Druid that I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect a Ret dps paladin to have a fairly competent idea of how to also play Protection.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Feral, Warrior and Paladin, in that order. Feral cat (dps) / bear (tank) have a little deeper learning curve than the other two, but is more rewarding to perfect. Paladin is the least complex and also the least rewarding, with Warrior falling somewhere in between.

After those three I'd recommend Death Knight. The only reason I don't mention it as a top 3 choice is that the learning curve with Death Knight tanking specifically is a little sharp and you'll likely catch some flack from PUG dungeon runs while you try to overcome your lack of knowledge about the game. It's probably not a good starter tank/dps for this reason. Druid has a deep learning curve also but a learning Bear can still tank reasonably well. An inexperienced and learning DK has a much greater risk of causing big problems for their group.

oss43456

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

So any reccomendations?

I haven't played since WotLK, so I can't help as well as some of the above users. I'm just basing my info on how it always was up to that point. The newer LFG options did help with classes not getting pigeon holed into roles they didn't want to play, but within guild groups, it could still be an issue, but they can be understanding if they are a good group.

oss43456

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012

LFG? What does that mean