Interesting OC problem...

Chicken_Attack

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
I was wondering guys, if you raised the Bus speed on a 700 MHZ duron on a A7V mobo to oc it, But the higher you raised the bus, the longer it took for windows 2000 to load... I assume what would cause that is the hard disk not wanting to keep up or something. But the werid thing is, once i get into windows, everything runs great and a lot faster. I have a 1 128 mb PC100 module and one pc 133 module. I am running both of these with the 133 mhz speed plus the oc on the bus. I think i only raised the bus speed 10mhz before it became unstable in a game or something. I would like to unlock the muiltpler, but im not sure what to use to close the bridges... I would use that conductive pen, but they cost like 15 bucks from what i saw. I can get a duron 1.3 for like 32 bucks at price watch, so screw the pen. You have to close all the L1 bridges to unlock it correct?
System specs
Asus a7v
duron 700
256 mb ram, one 100 and the other pc133
Geforce 2 MX
8.4 ata 66 @ 7200rpms
generic sound card and modem...
(yes i know, this system is in serious need of upgrade, but i dont have a whole lot of money cause im building a V8 engine for my little truck... Damn auto parts cost a lot... :( )

Right now my duron is running at 749mhz with windows loading at a decent rate...
i had it once at 791, but it crashed in a game too much, and it took win2k forever to load(part where bar moves across the screen in blue...)
Thanks -Drew

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Did you try raising the bus with only the PC133 dimm in? PC100 mem might not be able to go to a higher speed.

---------

If the Scatman can do it so can you...

---------

Chicken_Attack

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
Im going to try that, logic tells me that im pushing the ram pretty hard with a plus 33 mhz much less more... Ill take out that PC100 module and see what happens and post back up here...

Thanks for the reply - Drew

Mowgly

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2002
So your already running the pc100 at 133 with the +33 in the bios set the memory back to normal and try overclocking the fsb further, if you cpu can take a 133 fsb then leave the memory fixed same as the fsb you'll already be overclocking the pc100 to 133 and if you got the fsb to 107 so if the cpu is ok you may be able to get the fsb to 140 or more

133 fsb = 931Mhz

140 = 980

and with that cpu I think you can use the pencil trick using a 2b pencil to unlock the bridges.

Good luck

Chicken_Attack

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
yah i tried it, didnt work... I even took out the pc 100 module and tried it then... Didnt even post... I have to switch it back to jumper mode to get it to boot again... ITs almost like it is getting over heated(i have the stock heat sink and fan that came with the CPU and some artic silver)... Then i bumped up the voltage to 1.70 cause it might not have enough, no effect... And to unlock the CPU, i connected all the L1 bridges with the pencil, but it wouldnt post, so i had to erase them off... i was using a regular #2 pencil...

-drew

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The A7V is based on the cursed KT133 chipset which was designed to run at 133MHz bus but couldn't. Most would crap out around 112MHz, give or take a couple MHz.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
LOL I know someone with that board and all I can say is that its a pile of rubish ! (Thats the very polite version)

Tim

<font color=blue>Its winter now... So how come my CPU temp is still </font color=blue><b><font color=red>55C</font color=red></b>