What resolution for desktop when gaming on TV?

Mookeylama

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
got my pc hooked to 55" hdtv and i usually use something like 1200x800 for just surfing because setting back from the tv, it's hard to see the small icons & text when using the native 1900x1080. but i've always been unsure what resolution to set the desktop at when gaming?
does keeping the desktop at a low res ease the strain when gaming (i game at 1080p), or is it better to keep the desktop at the same res that i'm gaming in? it seems to make a difference because when i've had the 2 resolutions drastically different, i usually get screen tearing

Solution

Just how far are you sitting away from your HDTV? I sit 8 feet away from my 47" LCD HDTV and I have no problems with 1920x1080. Sure the text may be a bit fuzzy compared to a monitor, but that is a known issue with HDTVs.

Tibbs01

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
It's always best to have it set to the native resolution of the monitor/tv, as long as your hardware can support a playable experience at that resolution. If you have to pick a lower resolution to keep playable frame rates, make sure you are staying within the same aspect ratio.

Lastly you can magnify the text etc. when surfing so you can see it better from your couch as well as magnify your desktop so the icons are larger.

If you wanted to reply with your computer spec's that would help as well.

Mookeylama

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
specs
windows 7 and games on crucial 256gb ssd
WD 2tb hdd storage
i7 3770k
sabertooth z77
gtx 670 4gb
corsair 850tx
coolermaster 812

think that's all. i already made the icons bigger. how can i make text bigger?

so i should keep the descktop at 1900x1080 if that's what i'm gaming at? i figured it might help the strain on the gpu if i lowered the pc resolution

Tibbs01

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
There is no worry about the strain on that gpu my friend :) Keep everything set to 1920x1080 for sure.

In regards to the text when you are browsing it depends on your browser. In chrome for example click the 3 horizontal lines at the top right of the browser and you will see a "zoom" option in the drop down, scale that to what is comfortable on your eyes, or just hit F11 for automatic full screen option which may be enough on it's own.

Just how far are you sitting away from your HDTV? I sit 8 feet away from my 47" LCD HDTV and I have no problems with 1920x1080. Sure the text may be a bit fuzzy compared to a monitor, but that is a known issue with HDTVs.

Solution