Want to overclock a 2.53GHz P4 ....

hamoncules

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2002
I am getting the new GA-8INXP (Granite bay) MoBo and some 2700 DDR RAM. If i can over clock my CPU to 166 instead if the default 133 the CPU and RAM will be running in a 1:1 ratio (or at least that is my understanding). How difficult is it to overclock a P4 from 133 to 166 and will i need any special hardware to do it.

Thx

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
get a good cpu air cooler and hope for the best, or spend $150-200USD for watercooling
volcano 7+ or swiftech mcx-4000 for air coolers maybe?

--------------

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">mubla otohp eht ni ecaf ruoy teg</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You could do that, you might want to consider PC3200 for more overclocking options however.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Granite bay does not offer memory timing options, and the timing set by default is <A HREF="http://fugger.netfirms.com/tyandc.jpg" target="_new">such.</A> I do not think he will get anywhere near 200FSB for the PC3200/DDR400 memory and 166FSB will be hard too. I would guesstimate 150FSB~160FSB realistic with a stock HSF.

Upgrade to a high performance Swiftech copper heatsink and you will have a better chance of reaching 160FSB

Keep the inside of the case as cool as possible, increase number of case fans and have the fans work together to create best airflow.

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you're lucky you can get an i845E/PE chipset board that supports the 3:4 memory ratio to DDR354 at 133MHz bus and DDR400 at 150MHz bus using the 3:4 ratio. I was hoping the same would be true of Granit Bay.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a IT7MAX2 that has the 3:4 option and the GB board still has slightly more bandwidth unless I overclock the IT7 then I can surpass RDR bandwidth.

Granite bay has possibilities when overclocked on the Gigabyte board. I posted a SS of sandra 5K memory bench from Gigabyte GB board @ 200FSB. Thats higher than any RDR board I have ever seen.

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>