Skyrim stutters when fps is slightly under 60 fps.

fromd

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
So ive been having this problem for a while now. When i move around in skyrim and pan the camera i get this weird stutter/very brief freeze that occurs when my fps goes under 60. even if its just 59. I play on ultra and hardly ever goes below 56fps. Anyone got this issue? or a fix?

Thanks in advance!

GTX 680
I7 2600k
8gb DDR3

lchrisk

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
Turn off v-sync and you'll be above those numbers most of the time. If you don't know how, go into your drivers, e.x. right clicking your desktop and going into the nvidia control panel if you have a nvidia driver, and turning off vsync. If that's off, I'm pretty sure Skyrim has vsync enabled while you play, so turn it off.

fromd

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012

The thing is that skyrim is not optimized for 60fps+... the physics goes nuts and characters are flying all over the place... actually use a 120hz monitor but i have to cap the framerate with msi afterburner to avoid that..

Meisgoot312

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
My game runs constantly over 60 fps, and I have only seen a few physics glitches so far. I think the fps boost outweighs the physics glitches.

I note only 60 FPS are going to be drawn to the screen. Frame latency matters more then FPS once you start to approach 60 FPS or so.

fromd

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012
Well, i cant even finish the wagon intro if fps is above 60... wagons fly into the air and land random place, rsulting in the horses dying. So thats not really an option for me.

nocturnal7x

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
Maybe Bethesda's next TES will be developed for the PC. One can only dream...Have you guys seen the Parallax Occlusion mapping mods for skyrim? They are ******* amazing. The fact this game was not DX11 was a huge letdown, but a larger let down was they failed to do the bare minimum and include POM(bare minimum to not be called either a lazy or incompetent developer). Thats what it comes down to, bethesda is either lazy or incompetent.

As far as stuttering Id do a clean install of graphics drivers, but Ive noticed skyrim feels terrible below 60FPS, more so than a lot of other games.

bumnut53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
I had a similar problem with dead island, high fps but still looked like it was stuttering (especially when strafing).

In Nvidia control panel, go into 3d settings and set max pre rendered frames to 1 or 2, worked for me so it is worth a try.