Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Install Windonws 7 Work Arounds Still Work?

Tags:
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
October 26, 2010 7:05:03 PM

EDIT - I see in the sticky above the article I linked to was mentioned. The sticky is from June, so I assume it still worked then. CAN ANYONE CONFIRM IT STILL WORKS AS OF TODAY?

I am aware that there is a method that is 100% effective where you install the Windows 7 upgrade disk fully (I am buying a selection of brand new components with nothing on them) , then before activation to mess with a few registry values through the command prompt and it activates Windows without a problem. The process is detailed here, among many other place. This works, but all the guides to it are a year old. HAS THIS METHOD BEEN PATCHED OUT, or does it still work? I couldn't seem to find any news either way, and I don't want to rely heavily on something that could be gone.

PS: I do own a couple old copies of XP, but they are OEM and I'm not certain they'd work. Just wanted you to know I'm not a pirate!

More about : install windonws work arounds work

a b $ Windows 7
October 27, 2010 5:19:36 AM

"I do own a couple old copies of XP, but they are OEM and I'm not certain they'd work."
OEM licences are locked in to the original pc and are not transferrable, so they can't be used.
The method you describe is only valid if you own a previous full version of a qualifying Windows product.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 27, 2010 7:59:07 AM

The PC you use the upgrade version on must have a legal version of Windows already installed, otherwise you can't go the Upgrade edition route. At least, that's how I understand it.
m
l
Related resources
October 27, 2010 1:34:48 PM

You can install it no matter what people are saying.

Boot from the cd ( clean install )and when it asks for you product key at first don't put it in. When windows is ready, but the disk back in and install as a upgrade.

Since the upgrade will see Windows already on the hard disk, you should have no problems activating it.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 27, 2010 2:09:25 PM

MechaNintendoMaster said:
You can install it no matter what people are saying.

Boot from the cd ( clean install )and when it asks for you product key at first don't put it in. When windows is ready, but the disk back in and install as a upgrade.

Since the upgrade will see Windows already on the hard disk, you should have no problems activating it.

Works, yes, but it's not legal to do that unless you already have a licensed Windows for the PC in question.
m
l
October 27, 2010 6:24:01 PM

For anybody else wondering, I have received confirmation that the registry edit method still fully works and has been patched out as of very recently. There are resources on how to do that all over the place.

OEM licenses are the stupidest **** ever, but I guess I'll have to go out and pick up a legal copy of XP on the cheap so I won't have Microsoft get mad at me.
m
l
October 27, 2010 7:12:52 PM

Herr_Koos said:
Works, yes, but it's not legal to do that unless you already have a licensed Windows for the PC in question.

That's weird though. Windows only looked for a OS, not the licence key. It's almost like Microsoft wants people to do that.

On the other hand. Upgrade licences will transfer regardless of if they were upgraded over OEM copys. I know, I'm been able to reinstall twice with an upgrade disk and key.
m
l