Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Recommendation and advice in getting the right mice for FPS(BF3)

Last response: in Video Games
October 25, 2012 2:06:21 AM

I've read up here and there regarding gaming mice and looking to add one to my addition, but am unsure if i should go try a cheaper one instead or just save the money and read reviews and gamble/invest on a better one.

I am considering Razer deathadder. There are similar products of the same price range like logitech g500.
but like going for Razer imperator may be a bit tight on the budget for me.

but I guess the objective I really want is comfort? cuz i reckon i will be spending quite some hours gaming.

regarding grip wise, i think im leaning between palm or finger grip. not exactly sure how my wrist is during gaming. definitely not claw. seems straining on the wrist or fingers.

what other mice should I be looking for? any recommendation/advice?

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
October 25, 2012 2:41:54 AM

Do you like to have a tilting middle mouse button? If so, no Razer mice have it. I don't know what Razer mice you might like as I won't buy one without a middle mouse tilting ability.

The G500 is a solid mouse, which does have the tilting ability. It's design is compatible with a claw or palm grip. For the most part, or at least as best I can tell, claw grips will work with anything, and the G400/G500/G700 all fit well with a palm grip, of course the palm grip may be something you have to test out. (I technically use a claw grip, in the respect that I don't rest my hand on the mouse, but my hands resting position mimics a palm grip, but I have an arm rest that has my hand hovering slight above the mouse).

I believe the most important aspects to a good gaming mouse is high polling rate with a good button layout and comfortable feel.

If you want to go cheap, I'd recommend the G400, as it has a high polling rate, is shaped like the most popular mouse solid in the past (mx518) and has 2 thumb buttons. (~$35)

If you want a higher end mouse, you might consider the MS Sidewinder x8, which has one weakness, it has a 500/s polling rate, which isn't normally an issue on 60hz monitors, but with a 120hz monitor, it isn't as smooth as a 1000/s polling rate. It is wireless, but has long battery life and the best charger I've ever seen.

The G700 is also wireless, but has a 1000/s polling rate, has 4 thumb buttons that are comfortable to use and good software. It's weakness is the low battery life and its charger is not as good as the MS Sidewinder x8. I still prefer this one in the end, when using a 120hz monitor. (~$100)

I tried the G600, which I have seen a number of people like, but it seems a little clunky for FPS gaming and you do not need that meany thumb buttons for FPS, and arguably for other types of gaming. The software for this device has some work to be done, as I found it buggy. (~$70)
October 25, 2012 4:47:59 AM

bystander said:
Do you like to have a tilting middle mouse button? If so, no Razer mice have it. I don't know what Razer mice you might like as I won't buy one without a middle mouse tilting ability.

The G500 is a solid mouse, which does have the tilting ability. It's design is compatible with a claw or palm grip. For the most part, or at least as best I can tell, claw grips will work with anything, and the G400/G500/G700 all fit well with a palm grip, of course the palm grip may be something you have to test out. (I technically use a claw grip, in the respect that I don't rest my hand on the mouse, but my hands resting position mimics a palm grip, but I have an arm rest that has my hand hovering slight above the mouse).

I believe the most important aspects to a good gaming mouse is high polling rate with a good button layout and comfortable feel.

If you want to go cheap, I'd recommend the G400, as it has a high polling rate, is shaped like the most popular mouse solid in the past (mx518) and has 2 thumb buttons. (~$35)

If you want a higher end mouse, you might consider the MS Sidewinder x8, which has one weakness, it has a 500/s polling rate, which isn't normally an issue on 60hz monitors, but with a 120hz monitor, it isn't as smooth as a 1000/s polling rate. It is wireless, but has long battery life and the best charger I've ever seen.

The G700 is also wireless, but has a 1000/s polling rate, has 4 thumb buttons that are comfortable to use and good software. It's weakness is the low battery life and its charger is not as good as the MS Sidewinder x8. I still prefer this one in the end, when using a 120hz monitor. (~$100)

I tried the G600, which I have seen a number of people like, but it seems a little clunky for FPS gaming and you do not need that meany thumb buttons for FPS, and arguably for other types of gaming. The software for this device has some work to be done, as I found it buggy. (~$70)

sorry what's a tilting mouse button? Actually, I think a thumb button would be pretty cool. I think I can have a use for it. I think I'm not really for those mouse with charging docks. don't like the idea where your power fails at that one time while you were gaming. prefer battery or USB.
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
October 25, 2012 4:54:07 AM

kChaste said:
sorry what's a tilting mouse button? Actually, I think a thumb button would be pretty cool. I think I can have a use for it. I think I'm not really for those mouse with charging docks. don't like the idea where your power fails at that one time while you were gaming. prefer battery or USB.

Some mice have the middle mouse button designed so you can tilt it left or tilt it right for 2 additional actions, in addition to being able to push it down. I like this, though others don't. Those who don't complain that they accidentally push the left or right tilt action when they meant to push down, causing problems. I personally just avoid programming the middle button to do anything, and just use the tilt feature, which gives me an extra programmable action.

Neither the MS Sidewinder x8 nor the Logitech G700 require a charging dock. They let you charge while you use it and they give you a warning of lower battery life long before it runs out of juice, it seems to be far better than having to replace batteries every time they run out of power, as that takes a lot more time than attaching a magnetic super thin wire to the mouse in the case of the MS Sidewinder x8, or plugging in an Android style phone charger to the Logitech G700 (not as thin).

I'd recommend corded over wireless, but if you did go wireless, those two are by far the best.
October 25, 2012 5:09:16 AM

bystander said:
Some mice have the middle mouse button designed so you can tilt it left or tilt it right for 2 additional actions, in addition to being able to push it down. I like this, though others don't. Those who don't complain that they accidentally push the left or right tilt action when they meant to push down, causing problems. I personally just avoid programming the middle button to do anything, and just use the tilt feature, which gives me an extra programmable action.

Neither the MS Sidewinder x8 nor the Logitech G700 require a charging dock. They let you charge while you use it and they give you a warning of lower battery life long before it runs out of juice, it seems to be far better than having to replace batteries every time they run out of power, as that takes a lot more time than attaching a magnetic super thin wire to the mouse in the case of the MS Sidewinder x8, or plugging in an Android style phone charger to the Logitech G700 (not as thin).

I'd recommend corded over wireless, but if you did go wireless, those two are by far the best.

ok. I think I may go for the g400. I'm currently using a M185 Logitech wireless with nano receiver(USB) 1000dpi. not so sure about its polling rate. am pretty comfortable with that. so I may want to consider similar design... but I doubt I have MS sidewinder x8 in my market over here. Thanks for the recommendation!
a b 4 Gaming
October 25, 2012 5:13:31 AM

dont be fooled by the hype.
i had a g5 and it had the side switches on the MMB. to be blunt they were a feature i never used in gaming. in fact most games didnt even recognize them anyway...
you can set them up on some games to act as lean so you can lean out from a corner but in reality there just to fiddly and are a gimmick at best. also 1 more thing that can go wrong on what is a relatively cheap gaming mouse.
over the years i have found that some mice start off with gimmicks that turn out to be essential like side buttons but left and rite on the mmb isnt 1 of them...
i know above likes the feature but most people wouldnt call it a deal breaker if its not there...
as i said in the other dozen or so posts. go to a pc shop and try a selection of mice. choose the 1 that fits the basics.
1600+dpi
500-1000+poll rate
minimum prediction*
true zero acceleration **
palm fit and feel
side button placement***

*(prediction helps the user draw straight lines but to much of it can stop the mouse being able to draw smooth circles)
**(some mice will allow you to turn the mouse acceleration down to 0 but 0 may not mean off and on some razer mice this can turn into a negative acceleration. negative acceleration is like driving a car with the hand break on. as soon as you lift off the gas the car slows down abruptly instead of coasting. it also has a limiting effect on the overall speed of the car...
transfer this principle to a mouse and it basically means you wont be able to track an enemy across the screen properly. you will always be shooting just behind where he was because your hand is moving at the speed you think you need but the mouse is constantly trying to slow the movement down.
i had this with my lachesis and is the reason why i replaced it with my contagion.

***good side button placement is essential. to far forward or back then you will struggle to use them. there are a couple that have vertical placement and this is by far the best idea for these buttons that many manufacturers should use but dont.
2 great examples are the sidewinder x5 and x8. but if you dont like it or the mouse isnt for you then testing your hand size to button placement is all you can do...

so go to the shop and test everything you can get your hands on...
buy what siutes you and your needs. dont buy the first thing the sales rep recommends as he is likely to have an agenda in that he either needs to get ridd of stock or if he sells you an expensive mouse he gets a percentage of that sale.

a b 4 Gaming
October 25, 2012 5:31:03 AM

HEXiT said:
dont be fooled by the hype.
i had a g5 and it had the side switches on the MMB. to be blunt they were a feature i never used in gaming. in fact most games didnt even recognize them anyway...
you can set them up on some games to act as lean so you can lean out from a corner but in reality there just to fiddly and are a gimmick at best. also 1 more thing that can go wrong on what is a relatively cheap gaming mouse.
over the years i have found that some mice start off with gimmicks that turn out to be essential like side buttons but left and rite on the mmb isnt 1 of them...
i know above likes the feature but most people wouldnt call it a deal breaker if its not there...

The way you make the tilt buttons always work in every game is to program them to behave as typical keyboard keys. I usually default the tilt features to be shift and alt. If that is a problem, I can make a profile for a specific game to do something like sprint, or throw grenade.

I'd hardly call them gimmicky, but I do realize not everyone likes it. Luckily for me, almost all the new Logitech mice have that feature and if you don't like it, you can simply unprogram those actions so it doesn't do anything when tilted.

I do agree, that trying them out is the best thing, unfortunately, many stores don't have a display case for mice. For some reason, the last place that used to, Fry's, has stopped doing it around my area, which left me having to actually buy a mouse, try it out, and return it if/when I didn't like it.

I also find 500/s polling or better good for 60hz, but for 120hz, I would definitely step it up to 1000/s polling, or you lose some of that 120hz fluidity that is normally gained with 120hz. Btw, you will see this polling rate described in one of 3 ways: 1) 1000/s polling. 2) 1000 reports per second or 3) 1ms report rate (same as 1000/s, 2ms is same as 500/s).
October 28, 2012 11:49:55 PM

Ok, I got the g400 mouse. Thought it was a decent budget to look at, but realised it was too big for me :(  and it's not really comfortable for me to place my little finger on the mouse, cuz probably it's a new mouse for me. As in the curvature at the little finger should be improved for those various ways how the little finger is placd.

I dont think I can do an exchange, so gotta adapt to it. and I realised I was more of a claw grip. @@

sucks when you can't test the mouse at shops. But oh well, it looks sleek and the adjustable DPI and thumb buttons are added features!So, that's the good side.
October 28, 2012 11:50:32 PM

Best answer selected by kChaste.
!