ti4200 problem

kromosto1

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
PLEASE HELP

my system is p4 2.0a@2.7 p4s533-e mb 512mb 333 ddr asus ti4200 128 mb seagate 7200 rpm 80gb i had overclocked my ti4200 to 310/570 after 570 for rams in monitor some shapes begin to appear but sometimes i make it run at 620 mhz for benchmarks 3 days ago when playing a games screen freezes and after 5-10 seconds it came back like it used to do at 315 mhz core and when i run 3dmark i noticed that nearly 400 points is gone and cant do anyting about it today i noticed that (now i am runnig at 245/444) in games some times it freezes for i while which cant be noticed if you are too carefull and i think freezes are periodical and it doesnt differ if you play with 1600*1200 full or 640*480 with nothing my question is how can i test my ti4200 if it is harmed or not and is it from its rams or another part can you say me what can my problem be or how can i test it to learn (maybe you can give me programs that i can test)

svol

Champion
Run benchmarks at default speed and look for errors. Try using different drivers too.

It could be that that extreme high memory speed damaged your RAM... you shouldn't push it higher when you know it causes artifacts otherwise you can damage your components.

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!
--- PM me for information.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yeah, good overclocking on a video card requires some time and lots of patience.

You overclock that card, little by little, both core and memory. I prefer 2mhz adjustments on the core, and 5mhz on the memory.

Run 3dmark2k1, on the "Gothic" test. It's fairly dark, and works the card pretty good. Look for artifacts against all the dark areas in the test.

Once you start getting artifacts, drop the memory down 5mhz and the memory down at least 10mhz if not 15. Then, work them up 1mhz at a time, individually.

Once you get the artifacts again, drop them both down by 2mhz from the artifacts, and setup a game to run continuously. I like Unreal Tournament (the original) at either 1024x768x32 or 1280x1024x32.

Let that run for 5 minutes, straight, while you're sitting at the computer looking at the screen. Look for artifacts. I like to use "Facing Worlds" on the team game, and setup 16 bots to kill each other on the "godlike" setting. Be sure to look around, and move so there's lot of people on the screen at one time. Look for artifacts for 5 minutes.

If it's clean, flip the monitor off, and let it run for about 20 minutes straight. Then check for artifacts again.

Also, make note of the ambient temperature. You'll get a better clockrate during the winter when it's cool, than you will in the summer when it's warm.

There's a chance it's your video card. You might try reseating it, and take a look at the connector pins to make sure they are clean.

"I personally think filesystems should be rewritten from scratch every 5 years..." --- Hans Reiser