can I get more than 1,14GHz from a 950 Celeron?

ciuly

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Here are my comp specs:
Celeron 950GHz@100 Mhz
Gygabyte 60XT (can go up to 200 Mhz fsb)
256 pc133 Samsung (yeah I know it's shitty)
Jetway Gforce 2Mx 400 64 SDRAM

I changed the fsb from 100 to 120 and the system works perfectly (for more than a year). However at higher fsb the system becomes unstable and locks. The hsf if ok, and the temperature is no more than 38 degrees C. And the pci/agp is at 40/80 and still no problem ( with the latest bios update I have a pci/agp divider but don't use it).
At 133 fsb and the divider I have 1,26 Ghz and 33/66 but I locks almost instantly.
Is there anything else I could do to go higher and have the system stable? I read a few posts about changing the voltage but I don't know how (Mobo has no jumpers or bios options for that.
Thanks alot
PS. I hope to buy a new system in a few months so I don't care much if any of the components will go up in flames if I try "extreme" oc

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Celeron 950 MHz is Coppermine, almost to the end of the line. It wont go much past 1 GHz. With just the FSB tweaking available (no multiplier changing for Intel CPUs) remember the core speed will jump by 9.5 MHz with each MHz you increase on the FSB.

You seem to have experimented quite a lot with teh system. I guess your conclusions hold well. Maybe 122~130 MHz FSB (1159~1235 MHz) just lower than 133 might work.

You have to zero in on the best speed the system (combination of everything, the board, processor, memory and of course the PCI and AGP hardware) offers.

girish

Every point I make has 'n' perspectives!
Boy do I need a <i>disclaimer</i> for my every word?

ciuly

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
The problem is that I have seen that others where able to force their cpu (coppermine at ~1GHz) to a higher fsb, even to like 170, wich is kinda hard to belive, the SDRam being at 133.
Anyway, I won't try to force it up to 2GHz :). But another 100 Mhz would be nice, at 133 fsb.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You might just be a lucky guy here: I had a PIII 1000EB Coppermine go to 1307MHz without problems, at 1.85V! Anyway, you WILL need to raise your voltage, and it sounds like only a small increase will be needed. I'd try 1.85v if you can get that on your board. If it's stable at that speed, try reducing the voltage in small steps to find the minimum stable voltage (to reduce heat).

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

ciuly

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
I've seen that raising the voltage is the option, but I don't know how to do it. On some Athlon XP MOBO's I saw the option of changing the voltage from bios. But in my "Frequency/voltage control" menu in bios I have options just for changing the fsb and the divider, and nothing about the voltage. On my old MOBO for K6-2 I could change the voltage from jumpers directly on the board. But the Gigabyte 60XT I have has no jumpers.
SO PLEASE any ideas on how to change the voltage (if posible)?
I think I'm starting to hate Gigabyte MOBO's :(

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, I had instructions posted on my site, but that's down...I wrote a detailed description in here a long time ago. If you have some place I can send a file to, I'll send the directions.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

ciuly

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Thanks alot for the directions Crashman. But I have some more questions if u don't mind. (I'm new at voltage modification)
My cpu has a 1.750 V but I don't know (couldn't find out yet)if the Mobo ca give more than that. But my guess is that it does.
About the pins: Open means the pins stays out of the socket? or it doesn't? or Closed means the VID pin has to be conected to the VSS pin (whith a "fine" wire"?!?)?
I want to modify the cpu rather than the mobo. And I would like to get the fsb to 133 and cpu to 1,26 (if posible). What would be a good voltage for that? Or I should just try in small steps?
Thks again and sorry if I have "stupid questions"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, I worded it that way to make it easier, open means no connection and closed means connected to VSS (either internally by the factory, or externally by you). You can take a piece of fine wire andbend it into a U shape, then drop it into a VSS and VID hole you need to make a good connection. Another way is to wrap the wire around the VSS and VID pin you want to connect. Either method requires super fine wire like you find in headphone cable.

You're in LUCK, because you don't need to disconnect any pins to get the voltage. Jumping up to 1.85v on a 1.75v CPU requires only connecting Vid1 to VSS. I have better news still! Because Vid0 is already connected to VSS, you can connect Vid1 to Vid0 and still be connecting it to VSS. This distance is shorter, and a U shaped jumper wire between those two pin holes would be rather easy.

Just remember that if you use the jumper wire from hole to hole, the socket holes are a mirror image (flipped left to right) of the pin diagram.

ciuly

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Maybe I'm not so lucky after all:). I tried what u told me, and I conected the 2 pin holes, vid 1 and vid 0 (I used a wire from the hands-free set which is the same as at the headphones). First time I started the pc after a few seconds I got a continous beep. I switched the power off and tried again. This time pc started normaly but nothing had change( the voltage was 1.750V). Started windows and everything looked ok (except the voltage). I got the same voltage readings both from bios and from a system info viewer from GBT. I tried the hole thing twice and the same happened: first start continuos beep(after setting the wire jumper) and then starts normaly but with no voltage change.
I should try to conect vid1 to vss directly? And about vss have one question: connect to which vss? the vss that changes at tualatin in vid25mv or the other one(I've seen 2)?
thanks

P.S. Can it be that the mobo can't get a higher voltage then 1,750?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ciuly on 01/10/03 06:37 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, are you sure you got the right holes? Remember that they would be the holes corresponding to the PINS in that chart-in that chart the CPU is pin side up...you flip it over to install it, therefore the corresponding socket holes would be a mirror image. On my Slotkets that means the pin holes are next to the part that says PGA370 and on the oposite side of the lever.

ciuly

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Trust me. I conected the right pin holes. I double verified.
I read on another guide (for tualatin) that u should'nt push too hard if the proc doesn't fit in (becouse of the wire). But I had no problem like that, and the proc went in very smoothly, and when I took it out the wire remained there. Maybe the wire is too thin?
PLease help
Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Not likely it's too thin. Maybe it has a coating on it...you could try going straight to VSS though.

ciuly

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
That brings me to an earlier question. Which vss?
On your drawing there are 2 vss - one close to vid0 and vid1 and another close to vid0 and vid2 than is changed at tualatin with vid25mv (if I am correct). Can I connect vid1 to any of them?
Thanks again for your time

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Crap, I just realized you're using a Tualatin compatable board, it probably doesn't support detected voltages over 1.825v! But Gigabyte has an "advanced" menu on many of their boards, I think you have to hit Alt-F1 in BIOS to access it, it should give you voltage controlls. Sorry, but for Tualatin boards, I've run you down the wrong road.

ciuly

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
No problem Crashman. I should have mentioned that the board is tualatin compatable, but I didn't now it matters.I'll try the bios thing

Tuff luck. It didn't work. Tried Alt+F1 and + all F's and with Ctrl. Guess my mobo has no advanced menu in bios. Is there anything else (except buying a new mobo & cpu) to do to get the cpu to work at a higher voltage (or stable at 133 fsb)?
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ciuly on 01/11/03 03:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Grr, older boards that supported the original PPGA processor supported the full VRM 8.4 spec, which allowed outrageously high core voltages. I'm probably wrong about what keys you have to press to get into the advanced menu, but there SHOULD be an advanced menu available on a board this new! 1.80v would require you to disconnect a pin from the socket, which can sometimes be done with thin insulation and an enlarged hole...doesn't sound like a good option to me.

ciuly

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
If posible, I would like to keep the mobo intact. I'll try to find the hot keys for the menu in bios. I posted a thread in oc mobo's and going to post another one in mobos&chipsets, hope someone knows the keys. If nothing else works, I'll brake the pin( please, tell me which one, couse from the pdf I'm not very sure!)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
To get 1.80v you would have to break the Vid0 connection and connect VID1 to VSS. I don't know if 1.80v is enough though.

ciuly

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
It seems I have the only Gigabyte mobo in the world that doesn't have an advanced menu for voltage :(

So if I modify the cpu for 1.80V and this doesn't help me modify the fsb at 133 , the current fsb at 120 would still work ok, the voltage being at 1.80V instead of 1.750V?

And P.S. PLEASE tell me about the 2 vss pins couse I'm still confused about them. To which do I connect vid1??

P.S.1. I checked all the threads at oc mobo ( did u know the first thread was on 11.11.00?) and still no sign of the hot keys for adv. menu in GA bios. Now searching in the mobo forum, got at page 40 and counting( lol guess it's going to take another day or two to finish that also)

P.S.2 Finally found a thread about pretty much the same problem as mine. Seems that even having an advance menu in bios doesn't help on voltage mod. So f**k Gigabyte?!?! (sory for the bad language)
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ciuly on 01/12/03 03:41 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
1.) Sorry if your board has no support for voltage changes
2.) Yes, you could operate it at 1.80v. While the extra .05v might get you to 133MHz, it might not. And anything between 120 and 133 might be overclocking your PCI bus too much. Worse case scenario, you still have 120MHz bus.
3. Since you have a Tualatin compatable board, the pin in question is obviously Vid25mv instead of VSS. In fact, all the reassigned pins for the Tualatin were originally VSS pins. All VSS pins are connected together, so an easy way for Intel to prevent people from using the newer CPU on the older boards was to reassign a couple VSS pins. So you can't use the Vid25mv pin as a VSS pin.

ciuly

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Sorry for the last message P.S.2. I was very frustated and angry on Gigabyte.
So I'll do the modifications and see what happens.

THANKSALOT for your help Crashman. I'll keep u posted on what happens.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, ok, just remember that you have the Vid25mv pin where older boards had one VSS pin, it can't be used for VSS.

ciuly

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
I broke vid0 and connected vid1 to vss. And guess what? The voltage went down to 1.700v from 1.750. Now I can't even get the 120fsb. I connected vid1 to the vss that is closest to vid0 and vid1. Can it be that I need to connect it to the other vss(closest to vid0 and vid2)?.
I'm getting confused.Please help

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
According to my pin chart you havent' sucessfully closed VID1. You probably connected it to the VSS pin which was reassigned to VID25mv (location AK36). If you look at the graph, there's another VSS pin located the same distance from it (location AM34). If you're having problems using the easy method, you can always try pin wrapping.

ciuly

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
I tried 3 times. Last time I used 2 wires, just to be sure it has contact.And yes, I connected vid1 to the vss at AM34 (I tried connecting it to the other one at AK36 but same result). Can it be that there is some other vid that needs opened or closed?
According to your chart for 1.80v I need:
vid3-closed
vid2-open
vid1-closed
vid0-open
OK, so vid0 is open(I broke it) and vid1 is connected to vss.
What about vid2? Maybe I need to brake that one too? and/or what about vid3? Is it closed or I have to close it myself?