Simple: Volcano 9 or generic all copper?

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Right now I have a Titan D5TB over my XP1700+, everything ok. But I plan to use that HSF for my old K6-2, so I will need a new HSF for the XP.

Bearing in mind that I want something that can handle XP2800+ and more (for future upgrades and run it cooler), I have two options with aprox. the same cost:

a) Volcano 9 (no coolmod thanks, I'm just going for the more efective and less noisy solution)

b) <A HREF="http://www.titan-cd.com/cu5tb.htm" target="_new">Titan CU5TB</A>, all copper.

Give me your vote and your reasons. Thank you!

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I have an identical heatsink to the Titan CU5TB, the <A HREF="http://www.nexfan.com/29/331.htm?815" target="_new">Evercool CUD-715</A>.

It's only OK. It has mediocre cooling. (My Tbird 1.0 @1.5 Ghz would exceed 50 degrees at load). It works and it looks great (all chrome!) but it's big and very heavy. (Over 500 grams, I believe). It uses a single tab clip under very high tension and that's the problem. I think even a small amount of system movement could easily break the socket tabs. It's also noisier than I like.

I improved the CUD-715 (slightly) by swapping in a Y.S. Tech TMD (40 CFM) fan which improved cooling (about 2 degrees) and reduced noise.

Eventually I went back to my old cheap heatsink, Galaxy GC21, which is identical to a Volcano 5 but with a 3-tab clip. Combined with the above TMD fan this combination cools about 6 degrees better than original CUD-715 and only 4 degrees worse than with the outrageous Delta fan I had on the Galaxy. However, the noise is tolerable.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
I usually like the Volcano 9, but not for an XP2800... I'd look at maybe a Thermalright SLK800 with a nice high-speed Panaflo, or even a Delta.

Ahhh! It's 2003 and wait, whats this!? My computer didn't blow up! ... Well damn, there goes my new Athlon @ 333FSB and my inssurance claim... heheheh

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
The titan isnt bad, nice thin fin design. The official specifications say you can use it on a XP2800+. Better than the stock cooler, but not as good as a volcano7+, sk800 or MCX-462.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Well, it seems as always that cheap is never good ... Ok, here you have the prices at what I can buy every product:

Note: euros and US$ are about the same

- Titan CU5TB (all copper)<font color=white>..</font color=white>19,50 euros
- Volcano 9<font color=white>....................</font color=white>19,62 euros
- Volcano 7+<font color=white>...................</font color=white>29,99 euros
- Aplha 8045 (no fan)<font color=white>........</font color=white>49,55 euros
- SLK800 CU (no fan)<font color=white>........</font color=white>49,95 euros
- MC462-A (4800rpm fan)<font color=white>...</font color=white>80,00 euros

My objective is to have a good cooling solution, probably based on a big fan like a 80x80 low noise fan (about 3000 rpm), better if it's based on copper (I always heard it's better).

Taking into consideration your recommendations, I suppose that the best HSF without spending a lot of money will be the Volcano 7+? Is it worth the extra 10 euros over the Volcano 9?

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yes, the 7+ is quite alot better than the 9.
The 9 is just a copper insert normal aluminium heatsink.

The only problem with the 7+ is that it uses a 70mm fan.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>