Rounded Cables?

Troglodyte

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
Are there any problems with Rounded IDE Cables I want to get some from CompUSA they have options like Copper or Silver shielding. Which one should I choose? Packaging on them says it will run 133ata.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
The ones with shielding protect the cable better from external electromagnetic interferance. Though usually not required, its nice to have all the same and they look 'spiffy' as well! :smile:

Just make sure that the cables are of the standard 18" in length. Often rounded cables are sold in overlength varieties of 24" or 30" or even greater. Such lengths exceed the OFFICIAL ATA cable specifications, and can cauze data corruption, especially with overclocking.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Well, I've heard that copper provides better shielding than silver (thats why there's an insert), so you end-up getting something like 15% more performance readin/writting files just because its shielded. How much is CompUSA charging ?

Ahhh! It's 2003 and wait, whats this!? My computer didn't blow up! ... Well damn, there goes my new Athlon @ 333FSB and my inssurance claim... heheheh

G

actually since silver has a smaller resistivity it would make a better shield material (just barely though) than copper. The performance increase will be a function of the interference you are fighting (as mentioned), and might be zero if there aren't any interference issues in the first place.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
oh, well thanks for that tidbit of information - didn't know it to that extent.

Ahhh! It's 2003 and wait, whats this!? My computer didn't blow up! ... Well damn, there goes my new Athlon @ 333FSB and my inssurance claim... heheheh

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
I really dont think it will make a difference, silver or copper. I highly doubt they use pure silver anyway $$$$. most likely aluminium or silverplated copper.

ATA cables are usually short enough to avoid any external interference problems, shielding will just reduce the chances, copper, silver or whatever.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>

TRENDING THREADS