Your question

Low FPS on my PC (Specs inside)

Last response: in Video Games
October 26, 2012 6:21:50 AM

Processor: Core2Duo E7500 2.93GHz
RAM: 4GB
GPU: Palit 9800GT 1GB Green
PSU: Hec Raptor R500 500W

I'm playing AC:Revelations and NBA2K13 which has low frame rates ranging from 15-25 fps on lowest settings. I have seen youtube videos with the same specs as mine where they can play 30-60 fps with high settings. I can't seem to figure out the problem. I used EVGA Precision X to check GPU Usage while ingame and goes from 95-100% so that's good right? So what's missing?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :D 

More about : low fps specs inside

October 26, 2012 1:09:42 PM

you're missing latest hardware needed to play latest games.

you can try lowering your resolution to try to get better performance, but I doubt it will make much difference.

Make sure you've got all the drivers updated and no power saving functions applies, and minimum background applications running
m
l
October 26, 2012 1:15:33 PM

what resolution and settings are you trying to play on? I think your problem is an underpowered PC.
m
l
Related resources
October 26, 2012 1:22:55 PM

Hardware is pretty low end, i suspect that is the problem, you could try some gameboosting software and see if that has any effect, maybe a few extra frames.
m
l
October 26, 2012 3:47:19 PM

Guys guys guys.. for sure it's not hardware problem. He's trying to play console ports, which don't take a lot of system resources at all. In fact, he's over recommended system requirements for both games, which means he should be able to play on at least medium settings, and especially not lag on low settings.

@OP: Could you check CPU usage during the lag?
m
l
November 2, 2012 12:52:47 PM

I tried playing on lowest settings and at 800x600 resolution, still gets a low FPS rating. Oh I forgot to mention that my GPU (9800GT) is atleast 2 years old so yeah, maybe that's whats causing the lag.

Another problem that I can't figure out is when I start up my PC the display doesn't turn on despite the PC and OS booting up with the usual single beep. Can't seem to know what part has the problem, the mobo or the PSU. My GPU is new (a GT420) so it has a lower chance of being the culprit.

Thanks again for all the feedback!
m
l
November 2, 2012 2:11:15 PM

Wait, so is your GPU GT 420 or 9800 GT?
m
l
November 2, 2012 2:30:11 PM

Sunius said:
Guys guys guys.. for sure it's not hardware problem. He's trying to play console ports, which don't take a lot of system resources at all. In fact, he's over recommended system requirements for both games, which means he should be able to play on at least medium settings, and especially not lag on low settings.

@OP: Could you check CPU usage during the lag?

I don't know those particular games, but not all console ports are light on PC power needs. Many boost the visual settings with the port, while others are just poorly ported (GTA anyone?)
m
l
!