Overclocking testing

hoserb2000

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2002
People say that you should test your system after Overclocking to see if it is stable, what is a good program to do that with?

You guys are the best!

svol

Champion
Benchmarks like 3DMark2001SE can do the job... so does SiSoft Sandra Burn-In test. To test pure CPU speed and errors you can use Prime95.

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!
--- PM me for information.

hoserb2000

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2002
this may sound stupid, but how will i now if its stable with 3dmark2001se, when i run it will it tell me?

You guys are the best!

svol

Champion
You can set it to run multiple times after eachother... if it completes that it should be stable. You can also check if you see artifacts during the benchmark... this can also be usefull when OC'ing your videocard.

But for pure CPU testing Prime95 should do a good job. It even gives error messages when the CPU calculates something wrong.
For memory testing you can use Memtest86... very good program.

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!
--- PM me for information.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Heheh, 3DMark2001SE is a GREAT program for crashing your computer. If it has for example a heat or memory problem, you're very likely to find out when the system locks, reboots, or exits the program to windows.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
I use a range of programs. Often ill find overclock/voltage settings that run fine under one program, but crashes very quicky using another.

with AMD cpu's:
Toast.exe - MRun maximum full load, hotter than any other program out there as its designed specifically for the K7 chip architecture.
Prime95 torture test - for cpu calculation integrity, also good for streessing the FSB.
superPI - ditto
memtest86 - test out the ram at a certain speed.
divx encoding - good for finding fsb problems.
games - for general stability.

Overclocking cant be rushed. To test out a state properly you need time to run alot of programs for long periods of time becuase i demand 100% stability.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>

TRENDING THREADS