Can any system be overclocked?

savejs

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2002
Have PIII, 550Mhz, ASUS P3V133 Mobo and PII, 266Mhz, PCChips MoboM715. Can these systems be "overclocked" and is it worthwhile? Thanks

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
Most motherboards allow for frequency&multiplier&vcore adjustments while few do not.....with older systems these days, overclocking can only get you so far because of the lack of memory bandwidth on these systems....to totally take advantage of the hardware you see today, a much faster cpu, memory will be needed before you will see full potentials....so I guess to sum it up, yes you probably could overclock those systems (how far depending on the quality of your components and luck) and the benefits will be limited

svol

Champion
They can if the boards allow changing of the FSB (external CPU frequancy)... changing the multiplier wont work because the CPUs are locked.

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!
--- PM me for information.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
They can, if you're lucky... I've got two old MMX 200Mhz systems and one P1@166Mhz, and I can't verlcok any of them because their BIOSs won't let me tweak the frequency settings.... the older the hardware, the lesser the cahnces you can actually get in there to tweak it...

Ahhh! It's 2003 and wait, whats this!? My computer didn't blow up! ... Well damn, there goes my new Athlon @ 333FSB and my inssurance claim... heheheh

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most 200MMX CPU's could be overclocked to 233 by changing the multiplier to 1.5x (which is the same as 3.5x). Most Pentium 166's could be overclocked to 200MHz by changing the multiplier to 3x and the voltage to the 3.5v VRE setting. All this is normally done with jumpers on those old systems.

A few Pentium and Pentium MMX CPU's were locked.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Geez, I've been into my system for so long now that it ended-up making me feel really stupid - I forgot that I couldn't change those multiplyer setting through the BIOS, hhehahaha.. lets just never talk about this slip up again lol ;)

Ahhh! It's 2003 and wait, whats this!? My computer didn't blow up! ... Well damn, there goes my new Athlon @ 333FSB and my inssurance claim... heheheh

svol

Champion
Do you think a Pentium 166Mhz MMX inside a Compaq Deskpro is unlocked?

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!
--- PM me for information.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Probably. You can't get 3.5x with a 166 though, becuase the jumper setting for 3.5x is the same as 1.5x, it will default to a slower speed. That leaves you with 3.0x, which is 200MHz.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>