Athlon 1.4

SabreFan

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
Greetings!

I am running an Athlon 1.4 266MHz fsb on an Asus A7N8X Deluxe mobo. I just updated the BIOS to the 1002.001 beta version and it allowed me to OC the processor so I bumped the multiplier up 1 notch and it now runs at 1.46MHz - stable and no problems with temperature. (I am going to upgrade processor to XP2600+ with 333MHz fsb within a week or 2) This is my first dealing with OCing and I am wondering how far I can push the CPU (the Athlon 1.4)? Do I only need to worry about temp?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!!!

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Sabrefan...(from Buffalo?)
I have a 1.4 Tbird that I OC'd to 1700. The key to Tbird overclocking is power. Without plenty of clean power you're not going anywhere. I had to switch to a antech True 480 to get my result. I had a generic power supply that started to actually make whining noises past 1550 mhz. Good luck, and turn those fans on high!!!

The English are not a very spiritual people, so they invented cricket to give them some idea of eternity. -George Bernard Shaw

svol

Champion
Depends if it is an T-bird or XP and which core steppinjg you have. I think 1.6GHz would be reachable with good cooling and (as Grub said) enough power.

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!
--- PM me for information.