Overheating

KingLouie

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2003
My system has been running really hot lately, since I upgraded to a Radeon 9700 Pro. I could understand why this would increase the system temp, but my CPU can get up to 65 degrees celcius or more when gaming, and even idling, it gets close to 60. Do I need a better HSF? I've got a volcano 5. Would that make enough difference o bring it down to a reasonable temp? Are there any other reasons why it would get so hot? My CPU's a Athlon XP 1600. I'm not doing any overclocking.

CaptainNemo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
65°C is within operating limits, but the best way of knocking the temp down is to install a fan in the side of the case that blasts away any hot air pockets that are 'trapped' near the HSF. Coolers can only do their job properly if the air in the case is being continuously replaced (i.e. intake/exhaust fans); otherwise, they just end up recycling warm air.

KingLouie

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2003
I have one case fan and a system cooler Turbo-Cool 2x that attaches to the back of the power supply. The case fan's being used as an exhaust. There's another space in my case for a case fan, and I plan to install one as an intake when it comes in, but I thought 50 degrees was a decent CPU temp, and I don't think one case fan will cut it down that much.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Casefans DO make a difference, but it depends how well your current one is working.

As you have noticed such a dramtic rise in casetemps upon installing your new card logic says that your case cooling isnt adquate.

1 case fan can be sufficient, but there must be holes at the other end of the case to properly draw air from. A front casefan can increase ventilation.

You may also want to consider a PCI slot cooler and mount it just below the R9700pro to suck away some of its heat.

what kind of case do you have? and how obstructed are the front and rear fanholes? (i..e do the fans have lots of room though the grills to fent air)

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
As others have said, the most likely cause of your heat increase is not a problem with the CPU cooler, but with the temperature of the air inside your case. Recommended case fan arrangement is one or more in the front bottom blowing in, one or more behind the CPU in the rear blowing out. Does your case have places for both fans, and are they mounted?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>