Overclocking succes but power supply in smokes?

loongor

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003
Dear People!

I just had a question i would like to ask in regards to overclocking. I have gotten my system with the specs below running my Athlon XP @ 2100+ and 2200+ the system will run stable for a week or so with the temperature indicated below, but what usually happens is my power supply will usually blow up or go up in smokes after a week. I have tested a few power supplys but nothing that is expensive but all power supplys seems to go up in smokes i have tested 4 types but same thing happens. Would it be that i need a really good power supply that can keep a stable voltage or is it of another problem?

My system specs are as follows:

Athlon XP 2000+ (139 FSB x 12.5 @ 1.85V)(Using Arctic silver 3 & Volcano 7 + ThermalTake Fan)
Epox 8RDA+ (2 x Kingmax DDR400 256Mb @ 2.77V - 133%)
Radeon 9700 Pro Gigabyte (OC @ 350Mhz GPU & 640Mhz Memory + extra cooling heatsinks)
on a 400Watt rated powersupply

CPU is at 34 degrees and system at 32 degrees.

BSoD

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2003
Uh I am no computer wiz but... could it be that you don't have your computer shielded from voltage spikes... y'know power surges... I dunno just a blind guess.

Blue Screen of Death... It's bad.

svol

Champion
That is strange... 4 times the same result with different PSUs. How much A where the 12V lines as the CPU gets power from that one. Are you sure nothing in your case is shorting? And how stable is your countries power grid?

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!
--- PM me for information.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
oh boy. After 4 powersupplies burning out dont you think it would be a GOOD IDEA to stop overclocking???

At least until you can determine if it also happens running at stock speeds!

If it burns out at stock speeds you have a mobo problem or dirty line power. If it doesnt then its obviously the overclock is doing something bad.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
My suggestion is to buy a quality power supply...I recommend a 431w enermax power supply with the active pfc function...this would be either the EG465AX-VE(W) FCA or the FMA here is a link
<A HREF="http://www.maxpoint.com/powersupply/powersupply_365_465ax_ve_fca.htm " target="_new">http://www.maxpoint.com/powersupply/powersupply_365_465ax_ve_fca.htm </A>

and like poobaa says...try to find out your problem before you burn your house down =]...