How do I say this? VZW dropped us as an agent, they did it..

Over the last few years, we have discussed the quality of veizon service;
but always discussed with some malice their business practices.

After many years as an authorized agent; without warning; a fax arrives on
Friday 3:30pm saying they are not renewing our agency AND that our agency
expires the next day. Not even an apology, no explanation, award after
award for excellence, and suddenly this.

As a customer enjoy the service; as a business, I can't even fathom what
they have done to me and our team. They have put a lot of people out of
work today; and not even an I'm sorry. Worse yet, not even a reason
offered. Oh, yes, they remind me that the contract has a clause in it that
allows them to cancel at any time (and need not explain why). Love this
notes file; but Verizon's Business Sense of Ethics- I guess my opinion is
self evident.

--
dr. wireMORE (don't accept "less", demand "more")
Wireless Consultant/Engineer & Midwest VZW Master Agent

If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to contact
you. Worred about leaving your email address..... yup, me too.
36 answers Last reply
More about this dropped agent

    Wow! Verizon has been on the warpath recently in regards to municipal Wi-Fi,
    http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/04/16/BUGJ1C9R091.DTL&type=business

    Now it seems the Wireless division is getting millitant as well.

    Your company must have done something. Any idea of why they terminated your
    contract.?

    You have My sympathies Doc.

    "dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma" <dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> wrote in message
    > Over the last few years, we have discussed the quality of veizon service;
    > but always discussed with some malice their business practices.
    >
    > After many years as an authorized agent; without warning; a fax arrives on
    > Friday 3:30pm saying they are not renewing our agency AND that our agency
    > expires the next day. Not even an apology, no explanation, award after
    > award for excellence, and suddenly this.
    >
    > As a customer enjoy the service; as a business, I can't even fathom what
    > they have done to me and our team. They have put a lot of people out of
    > work today; and not even an I'm sorry. Worse yet, not even a reason
    > offered. Oh, yes, they remind me that the contract has a clause in it
    > that allows them to cancel at any time (and need not explain why). Love
    > this notes file; but Verizon's Business Sense of Ethics- I guess my
    > opinion is self evident.
    >
    > --
    > dr. wireMORE (don't accept "less", demand "more")
    > Wireless Consultant/Engineer & Midwest VZW Master Agent
    > Data, wi-fi, national access, smartphones, and home
    > computer healthchecks, stop worrying... just ask for the dr.
    >
    > If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to contact
    > you. Worred about leaving your email address..... yup, me too.

    You'll be happy to know that the Mrs and I just switched from Verizon to
    Cingular - among the reasons is that Verizon is getting too creepy.

    dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma wrote:
    > Over the last few years, we have discussed the quality of veizon service;
    > but always discussed with some malice their business practices.
    >
    > After many years as an authorized agent; without warning; a fax arrives on
    > Friday 3:30pm saying they are not renewing our agency AND that our agency
    > expires the next day. Not even an apology, no explanation, award after
    > award for excellence, and suddenly this.
    >
    > As a customer enjoy the service; as a business, I can't even fathom what
    > they have done to me and our team. They have put a lot of people out of
    > work today; and not even an I'm sorry. Worse yet, not even a reason
    > offered. Oh, yes, they remind me that the contract has a clause in it that
    > allows them to cancel at any time (and need not explain why). Love this
    > notes file; but Verizon's Business Sense of Ethics- I guess my opinion is
    > self evident.

    dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma wrote:
    > Over the last few years, we have discussed the quality of veizon service;
    > but always discussed with some malice their business practices.
    >
    > After many years as an authorized agent; without warning; a fax arrives on
    > Friday 3:30pm saying they are not renewing our agency AND that our agency
    > expires the next day. Not even an apology, no explanation, award after
    > award for excellence, and suddenly this.

    What does your contract say about termination?

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

    Breezy <breezy@hotpants.com> spewed:
    > Wow! Verizon has been on the warpath recently in regards to municipal
    > Wi-Fi,
    > http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/04/16/BUGJ1C9R091.DTL&type=business
    >
    > Now it seems the Wireless division is getting millitant as well.

    Wow... that guy really is a dick. "Why in the world would people expect
    their wireless phones to work in their homes?" Great googily moogily. Nice
    attitude, Jack.

    --
    Visit My Site: http://www.rubbertoe.com

    Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> spewed:

    dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma <dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> spewed:
    > Oh, yes, they remind me that the contract has
    > a clause in it that allows them to cancel at any time (and need not
    > explain why).

    O_o

    --

    Robert J Batina wrote:
    > Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> spewed:
    >
    >>What does your contract say about termination?
    >

    > dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma <dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma.com> spewed:
    >
    >>Oh, yes, they remind me that the contract has
    >>a clause in it that allows them to cancel at any time (and need not
    >>explain why).
    >

    > O_o

    Duh. :) I do that sometimes, especially when I'm trying to multi-task (like now).

    "Robert J Batina" <rbatina@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message

    > Breezy <breezy@hotpants.com> spewed:
    > > Wow! Verizon has been on the warpath recently in regards to
    municipal
    > > Wi-Fi,

    http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/04/
    16/BUGJ1C9R091.DTL&type=business

    > > Now it seems the Wireless division is getting millitant as well.
    >
    > Wow... that guy really is a dick. "Why in the world would people
    expect
    > their wireless phones to work in their homes?" Great googily
    moogily. Nice
    > attitude, Jack.

    Giving Seidenberg the benifit of doubt, after all, this is the left
    coast and he could have been quoted completely out of context, he
    still comes across as an arrogant dick head (schwantzkopf).

    AT&T / AT&TWS was also once in the catbird seat.... This guy's golden
    parachute will open long before any consequences of his words or deeds
    have any negative affect on Verizon so he's free to say whatever he
    wants as long as it doesn't affect stock prices. Corporate greed at
    the top!

    I use over 4000 minutes a month for business calls. I've had Verizon
    service for 8 1/2 months and it was great until 2 weeks ago when
    coverage in my home and within a 3 mile radius went to hell.

    Over 90% of my calls in and out were either dropped, uninteligible or
    I had no service. I had the same results with 4 different phones, 3 of
    them new! As soon as I traveled out of this area the problem went
    away.

    I made over a dozen calls to Verizon CS. I was trying to be patient.
    The CS people were polite and tried to be helpful but they all read
    the same troubleshooting script everytime plus several of them lied
    and said that they had turned in trouble tickets.

    When I finally got to talk with an upper level manager, she was really
    snotty and told me "We don't guarantee service anywhere!". She offered
    me a onetime (once in my lifetime) $25.00 credit for my problems and
    said "take it or leave it"!

    A week ago I made a pact with the devil and went over to the dark
    side - I opened a Sprint account. Two different Sprint phones work
    great in all of the areas that I was having RF problems with Verizon.
    I tried to cancel my Verizon service after 2 weeks and no apparent
    resolution so that I could port my Verizon phone number over to
    Sprint.

    I was told that there would be a substantial early termination fee.
    "For what?" I never had a contract. I provided my own phone and signed
    up by telephone on a month to month basis! So now I have to wait until
    the end of June for a resolution or chunk out $200 or so bucks!

    I finally got to talk with a Verizon network tech support person who
    said "yes, it looks like there IS a problem" and that they would look
    into it but it could take 48 to 72 hours.

    Verizons coverage seems to be magically improving since this weekend
    (it was only my problem before). I have another 2 weeks to try out
    Sprint so I'll wait and see which way to go.

    The Verizon servce problems and attitudes that I encountered seem to
    reflect the attitudes of the CEO.
    --
    Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail me)

    While wireless carriers try to provide blanket outside coverage of an
    area, none of them guaranty it. They do not try to provide blanket
    inside coverage of an area. It is a two-way radio. If you want inside
    service, get a land line.

    Jerome Zelinske wrote:
    > While wireless carriers try to provide blanket outside coverage of
    > an area, none of them guaranty it. They do not try to provide blanket
    > inside coverage of an area. It is a two-way radio. If you want inside
    > service, get a land line.

    Spoken like a true Verizon wireless rep.

    The fact of the matter is, Jerome, probably 90% of VZW's wireless
    subscriber base happen to spend 75% or more of their time indoors. Most
    live in indoor homes (I would hope!) and most happen to work in office
    buildings, factories, or other indoor facilities. In our free hours, we
    spend a lot of time in indoor shops, malls, friend's houses, etc.

    Yet it would appear yourself and Mr. Seidenberg seem to think that we
    should only expect outdoor coverage. When am I outdoors? Well, usually
    when I'm on vacation, enjoying free time at a park, talking a walk...
    you know, times when I probably don't want to be bothered.

    And look at Verizon's marketing materials. The last "IN" commercials I
    saw all had dialogue that took place indoors... not in field somewhere,
    or even on a family's front lawn. They all took place IN a house.

    And what about the stores? Test calls are made all the time at indoor
    Verizon Wireless Stores, and I've even seen sales reps take personal
    calls on their own handsets while indoors. At no time have I witnessed
    anyone asking a customer to take the phone outside to make a test call.
    You COULD argue that the stores may have "cheater" micro cell sites
    (and I wouldn't be surprised if some actually do), but that's still a
    gross misrepresentation of the service. Surely, if such devices are in
    use in the stores and Verizon wants customers to expect outdoor coverage
    only, then a sign or other clear form of notification letting them know
    that a cell repeater is in use should be displayed. Or at the very
    least, VZW reps SHOULD make people go outside to place test calls, just
    to be consistent.

    So, if Verizon's official stance is that the phones are only guaranteed
    to work outdoors, then they should market them that way. Customers
    aren't stupid, and nearly everyone has been able to understand and deal
    with the notion that services like satellite TV, satellite radio, and
    GPS only work with outside antennas without any "unrealistic"
    expectations. Thus if customers have any expectation that their cell
    phone service is suposed to work in buildings, it's because the company
    has led them to believe it is so.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

    Isaiah Beard wrote:

    > So, if Verizon's official stance is that the phones are
    > only guaranteed to work outdoors, then they should market
    > them that way. Customers aren't stupid, and nearly
    > everyone has been able to understand and deal with the
    > notion that services like satellite TV, satellite radio,
    > and GPS only work with outside antennas without any
    > "unrealistic" expectations. Thus if customers have any
    > expectation that their cell phone service is suposed to
    > work in buildings, it's because the company has led them
    > to believe it is so.

    Not exactly. I think it has come to be accepted over time
    due to the fact that it does generally work indoors. Now
    it has become the expectation. All the contracts and
    literaterature point out that it is a radio service and may
    not work everywhere or all the time.

    Given that, I believe his statement was very bad and
    poorly put. Sounds like he was irritated or just arrogant.
    My assumption is that he was stating the above and doing
    it in the worst possible way/light.

    One of the reasons I have VZW is because it's on the 800
    band here and has much better building penetration than
    the carriers on 1900. I would have put the spin on it that
    while a radio service which will not work everywhere that
    VZW's technology will, in general, work better in buildings
    than their competitor's. They should make me CEO.

    -Quick

    It is alleged that Isaiah Beard claimed:

    ; And what about the stores? Test calls are made all the time at indoor
    ; Verizon Wireless Stores, and I've even seen sales reps take personal
    ; calls on their own handsets while indoors. At no time have I witnessed
    ; anyone asking a customer to take the phone outside to make a test call.
    ; You COULD argue that the stores may have "cheater" micro cell sites
    ; (and I wouldn't be surprised if some actually do), but that's still a

    At least some of them do. Chestnut Hill, MA (border area between
    Brookline and Newton) is a Cellular Hell zone for CDMA services.
    Outside the VZW store, lousy reception. Inside the VZW store, crystal
    clear full bars reception.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "You have come a long way G'Kar. Further than I could have guessed.
    Sheridan's promise binds me as well as it does him. We will take you
    into the Council, G'Kar. And someday, when all this is over, perhaps
    you will find it in your heart to forgive me." "Perhaps, but not
    today." (Amb. Delenn and G'Kar, B5 "Ship Of Tears")

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    > It is alleged that Isaiah Beard claimed:
    >
    > ; And what about the stores? Test calls are made all the
    > time at indoor ; Verizon Wireless Stores, and I've even
    > seen sales reps take personal ; calls on their own
    > handsets while indoors. At no time have I witnessed ;
    > anyone asking a customer to take the phone outside to
    > make a test call. ; You COULD argue that the stores may
    > have "cheater" micro cell sites ; (and I wouldn't be
    > surprised if some actually do), but that's still a
    >
    > At least some of them do. Chestnut Hill, MA (border area
    > between Brookline and Newton) is a Cellular Hell zone for
    > CDMA services.
    > Outside the VZW store, lousy reception. Inside the VZW
    > store, crystal clear full bars reception.

    Just a nit... I seriously doubt that it's a "micro cell site". More
    likely a repeater. They have an antenna outside (better
    than the one on your phone and maybe even directional) a
    repeater inside. Naturally you're going to get a full signal
    inside.

    -Quick

    Quick wrote:

    > Not exactly. I think it has come to be accepted over time
    > due to the fact that it does generally work indoors. Now
    > it has become the expectation. All the contracts and
    > literaterature point out that it is a radio service and may
    > not work everywhere or all the time.

    The issue is not indoors or outdoors or at home or at work, and Seidenberg
    should be intelligent enough to know that, but apparently isn't. There are more
    than one or two factors that contribute to good reception. Seidenberg's claim
    makes him sound like he actually knows zilch about the technology.

    --New Order, "Bizarre Love Triangle"

    I never worked directly for verizon. I did work at RadioShack a couple
    of years ago. Actually I sold more Sprint PCS phones than verizon.
    I understand that many wireless phones work in many indoor places. I
    think that the public should expect that it will work in many indoor
    places, but I do not think that the public should expect that any
    wireless carrier will care or work to improve indoor reception, unless
    the building owner has paid to have an indoor system installed. We can
    expect them to improve, fill in, outdoor areas, and they do try, but
    there are no guaranties even for outdoor coverage.

    In article <116aj1ttm0toab3@corp.supernews.com>,
    sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com says...
    > Jerome Zelinske wrote:
    > > While wireless carriers try to provide blanket outside coverage of
    > > an area, none of them guaranty it. They do not try to provide blanket
    > > inside coverage of an area. It is a two-way radio. If you want inside
    > > service, get a land line.
    >
    > Spoken like a true Verizon wireless rep.
    >
    > The fact of the matter is, Jerome, probably 90% of VZW's wireless
    > subscriber base happen to spend 75% or more of their time indoors. Most
    > live in indoor homes (I would hope!) and most happen to work in office
    > buildings, factories, or other indoor facilities. In our free hours, we
    > spend a lot of time in indoor shops, malls, friend's houses, etc.
    >
    > Yet it would appear yourself and Mr. Seidenberg seem to think that we
    > should only expect outdoor coverage. When am I outdoors? Well, usually
    > when I'm on vacation, enjoying free time at a park, talking a walk...
    > you know, times when I probably don't want to be bothered.
    >
    > And look at Verizon's marketing materials. The last "IN" commercials I
    > saw all had dialogue that took place indoors... not in field somewhere,
    > or even on a family's front lawn. They all took place IN a house.
    >
    > And what about the stores? Test calls are made all the time at indoor
    > Verizon Wireless Stores, and I've even seen sales reps take personal
    > calls on their own handsets while indoors. At no time have I witnessed
    > anyone asking a customer to take the phone outside to make a test call.
    > You COULD argue that the stores may have "cheater" micro cell sites
    > (and I wouldn't be surprised if some actually do), but that's still a
    > gross misrepresentation of the service. Surely, if such devices are in
    > use in the stores and Verizon wants customers to expect outdoor coverage
    > only, then a sign or other clear form of notification letting them know
    > that a cell repeater is in use should be displayed. Or at the very
    > least, VZW reps SHOULD make people go outside to place test calls, just
    > to be consistent.
    >
    > So, if Verizon's official stance is that the phones are only guaranteed
    > to work outdoors, then they should market them that way. Customers
    > aren't stupid, and nearly everyone has been able to understand and deal
    > with the notion that services like satellite TV, satellite radio, and
    > GPS only work with outside antennas without any "unrealistic"
    > expectations. Thus if customers have any expectation that their cell
    > phone service is suposed to work in buildings, it's because the company
    > has led them to believe it is so.

    Well said.

    Do the other providers, such as Cingular, say outdoors only? I ask
    because once again, I have coverage in only part of my home and I'm
    getting real tired of fighting with Verizon to open trouble tickets.
    I'm considering leaving although I've been with them for about 7 years.

    Louise

    In article <aaSdnY8iU-M7pvjfRVn-1A@comcast.com>, dnafutz@aol.spam.com
    says...

    > "Robert J Batina" <rbatina@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Breezy <breezy@hotpants.com> spewed:
    > > > Wow! Verizon has been on the warpath recently in regards to
    > municipal
    > > > Wi-Fi,
    > > >
    > http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2005/04/
    > 16/BUGJ1C9R091.DTL&type=business
    > > >
    > > > Now it seems the Wireless division is getting millitant as well.
    > >
    > > Wow... that guy really is a dick. "Why in the world would people
    > expect
    > > their wireless phones to work in their homes?" Great googily
    > moogily. Nice
    > > attitude, Jack.
    >
    > Giving Seidenberg the benifit of doubt, after all, this is the left
    > coast and he could have been quoted completely out of context, he
    > still comes across as an arrogant dick head (schwantzkopf).
    >
    > AT&T / AT&TWS was also once in the catbird seat.... This guy's golden
    > parachute will open long before any consequences of his words or deeds
    > have any negative affect on Verizon so he's free to say whatever he
    > wants as long as it doesn't affect stock prices. Corporate greed at
    > the top!
    >
    > I use over 4000 minutes a month for business calls. I've had Verizon
    > service for 8 1/2 months and it was great until 2 weeks ago when
    > coverage in my home and within a 3 mile radius went to hell.
    >
    > Over 90% of my calls in and out were either dropped, uninteligible or
    > I had no service. I had the same results with 4 different phones, 3 of
    > them new! As soon as I traveled out of this area the problem went
    > away.
    >
    > I made over a dozen calls to Verizon CS. I was trying to be patient.
    > The CS people were polite and tried to be helpful but they all read
    > the same troubleshooting script everytime plus several of them lied
    > and said that they had turned in trouble tickets.
    >
    > When I finally got to talk with an upper level manager, she was really
    > snotty and told me "We don't guarantee service anywhere!". She offered
    > me a onetime (once in my lifetime) $25.00 credit for my problems and
    > said "take it or leave it"!
    >
    > A week ago I made a pact with the devil and went over to the dark
    I once got them to take action by finding all the VZ users in my area
    who were suddenly having trouble (posted notices). When we called, we
    gave each others' numbers as well as our own.

    Got action and now, 8 months later, it's happening again. This time I'm
    investigating other carriers. I'm tired of VZ

    Louise

    dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma Wrote:
    > Over the last few years, we have discussed the quality of veizon
    > service;
    > but always discussed with some malice their business practices.
    >
    > After many years as an authorized agent; without warning; a fax arrives
    > on
    > Friday 3:30pm saying they are not renewing our agency AND that our
    > agency
    > expires the next day. Not even an apology, no explanation, award
    > after
    > award for excellence, and suddenly this.
    >
    > As a customer enjoy the service; as a business, I can't even fathom
    > what
    > they have done to me and our team. They have put a lot of people out
    > of
    > work today; and not even an I'm sorry. Worse yet, not even a reason
    > offered. Oh, yes, they remind me that the contract has a clause in it
    > that
    > allows them to cancel at any time (and need not explain why). Love
    > this
    > notes file; but Verizon's Business Sense of Ethics- I guess my opinion
    > is
    > self evident. Kinda of different but about the same. Alot of Verizon's network it
    had in Iowa on day one April 4, 2000 is now local spinoffs and MidWest
    Wireless. In my hometown in April 2000 the local agent just sold a
    phone plan and guy from Verizon Wireless from Des Moines showed up and
    said "I need all the phones, phamplets, and all information you have
    have on Verizon Wireless back." "We have lost the managing rights to
    this market and the new provider Lyrix wireless will contact you
    tomorrow". The next day the network is change loss of mobile web, text
    messaging, mobile to mobile all gone. My hometown went to have a large
    national provider to a local spinoff Verizon still owns 49.5% of the
    company.

    --
    agentHibby

    Quick wrote:
    >>Thus if customers have any
    >>expectation that their cell phone service is suposed to
    >>work in buildings, it's because the company has led them
    >>to believe it is so.
    >

    > Not exactly. I think it has come to be accepted over time
    > due to the fact that it does generally work indoors.

    Your response completely ignores what I've already laid out in my last
    post: Verizon perpetuates that expectation by setting up environments in
    stores where the service works indoors, the marketing materials point to
    indoor use, and the sales reps themselves have the same indoor service
    expectation.

    --

    Quick wrote:
    > Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    >

    >>At least some of them do. Chestnut Hill, MA (border area
    >>between Brookline and Newton) is a Cellular Hell zone for
    >>CDMA services.
    >>Outside the VZW store, lousy reception. Inside the VZW
    >>store, crystal clear full bars reception.
    >

    > Just a nit... I seriously doubt that it's a "micro cell site". More
    > likely a repeater.

    Same difference. VZW is using a repeater to create the illusion and
    expectation that indoor service should be attainable.

    --

    Louise wrote:
    > In article <116aj1ttm0toab3@corp.supernews.com>,
    > sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com says...
    >>Thus if customers have any expectation that their cell
    >>phone service is suposed to work in buildings, it's because the company
    >>has led them to believe it is so.

    > Well said.
    >
    > Do the other providers, such as Cingular, say outdoors only? I ask
    > because once again, I have coverage in only part of my home and I'm
    > getting real tired of fighting with Verizon to open trouble tickets.

    I don't believe Cingular does. I do know that T-Mobile has a very
    detailed coverage mapping tool that will clearly define service areas
    based on street address or street intersections. It will shade areas on
    the map based on whether you can expect good indoor coverage, marginal
    or bad indoor but good outdoor coverage, or just bad coverage all
    around. it's called "Personal Coverage Check" and you can find it at:

    http://tinyurl.com/82vvo

    In my trials will T-Mobile, I found the map to be very accurate. I was
    unlucky enough to be in a place where everywhere BUT my house was in a
    good signal area, and a quarter-mile bubble surrounding my house was
    shaded on the coverage map as being an outdoor-coverage area. But the
    sales rep convinced me to give it a go anyway.

    Sure enough, in-building coverage at my house wasn't very good. But,
    the T-Mobile reps I spoke to were more than happy to take the phone
    back, refund all charges, and everyone I spoke to, from the rep in a
    T-Mobile call center, to the sales rep at the store, generally owned up
    to the idea that coverage in my area needed to improve, saying "in
    building coverage is bad, so this is a spot where we have to work on our
    coverage... we hope you'll try us again after we've had a chance to
    improve on things."

    That's a HUGE difference in attitude from Verizon's CEO it seems. It's
    just a shame they don't offer high speed data, or I definitely would be
    back.

    --

    Louise wrote:
    > In article <116aj1ttm0toab3@corp.supernews.com>,
    > sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com says...
    >> Jerome Zelinske wrote:
    >>> While wireless carriers try to provide blanket
    >>> outside coverage of an area, none of them guaranty it.
    >>> They do not try to provide blanket inside coverage of
    >>> an area. It is a two-way radio. If you want inside
    >>> service, get a land line.
    >>
    >> Spoken like a true Verizon wireless rep.
    >>
    >> The fact of the matter is, Jerome, probably 90% of VZW's
    >> wireless subscriber base happen to spend 75% or more of
    >> their time indoors. Most live in indoor homes (I would
    >> hope!) and most happen to work in office buildings,
    >> factories, or other indoor facilities. In our free
    >> hours, we spend a lot of time in indoor shops, malls,
    >> friend's houses, etc.
    >>
    >> Yet it would appear yourself and Mr. Seidenberg seem to
    >> think that we should only expect outdoor coverage. When
    >> am I outdoors? Well, usually when I'm on vacation,
    >> enjoying free time at a park, talking a walk... you
    >> know, times when I probably don't want to be bothered.
    >>
    >> And look at Verizon's marketing materials. The last
    >> "IN" commercials I saw all had dialogue that took place
    >> indoors... not in field somewhere, or even on a family's
    >> front lawn. They all took place IN a house.
    >>
    >> And what about the stores? Test calls are made all the
    >> time at indoor Verizon Wireless Stores, and I've even
    >> seen sales reps take personal calls on their own
    >> handsets while indoors. At no time have I witnessed
    >> anyone asking a customer to take the phone outside to
    >> make a test call. You COULD argue that the stores may
    >> have "cheater" micro cell sites (and I wouldn't be
    >> surprised if some actually do), but that's still a gross
    >> misrepresentation of the service. Surely, if such
    >> devices are in use in the stores and Verizon wants
    >> customers to expect outdoor coverage only, then a sign
    >> or other clear form of notification letting them know
    >> that a cell repeater is in use should be displayed. Or
    >> at the very least, VZW reps SHOULD make people go
    >> outside to place test calls, just to be consistent.
    >>
    >> So, if Verizon's official stance is that the phones are
    >> only guaranteed to work outdoors, then they should
    >> market them that way. Customers aren't stupid, and
    >> nearly everyone has been able to understand and deal
    >> with the notion that services like satellite TV,
    >> satellite radio, and GPS only work with outside antennas
    >> without any "unrealistic" expectations. Thus if
    >> customers have any expectation that their cell phone
    >> service is suposed to work in buildings, it's because
    >> the company has led them to believe it is so.
    >>

    > Well said.
    >
    > Do the other providers, such as Cingular, say outdoors
    > only? I ask because once again, I have coverage in only
    > part of my home and I'm getting real tired of fighting
    > with Verizon to open trouble tickets. I'm considering
    > leaving although I've been with them for about 7 years.

    YES! Cingular says the same thing. They said it to me.
    I got Cingular some time back (4 years ago?) in the Bay Area.
    I was on my way to LV at the time I picked up the phones.
    Back home it barely worked in the house. To ensure an
    uninterrupted (no drop) call we had to go into the garage
    or the back yard. In the office (3rd floor with clear line of
    sight to a major tower) it only worked towards the windows
    along the outside of the building and not in the center
    area/half of the floor. I called. I called 3 times and spoke with
    3 different reps and 1 supervisor. All told me the same
    thing "Do you have a electrical equipment in your building
    like PC's?" "My phone doesn't work in my home either".

    Switched back to VZW (they were holding my account
    and numbers for 90 days). Full signal in the home and
    in the office. Even works in the all stainless steel elevators
    which are located in the center of the building.

    -Quick

    "Louise" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > and said that they had turned in trouble tickets.
    > >
    > > When I finally got to talk with an upper level manager, she was
    really
    > > snotty and told me "We don't guarantee service anywhere!". She
    offered
    > > me a onetime (once in my lifetime) $25.00 credit for my problems
    and
    > > said "take it or leave it"!
    > >
    > > A week ago I made a pact with the devil and went over to the dark
    > I once got them to take action by finding all the VZ users in my
    area
    > who were suddenly having trouble (posted notices). When we called,
    we
    > gave each others' numbers as well as our own.
    >
    > Got action and now, 8 months later, it's happening again. This time
    I'm
    > investigating other carriers. I'm tired of VZ

    I called customer service this afternoon and went up 3 tiers of
    managers. What I wanted to do was get another Verizon phone number so
    that I could port my number over to Sprint. I've frequently had more
    than 1 carrier at a time because of holes in the various companies
    coverage.

    There is no way to get around their demand for a 1 or 2 year contract
    which does nothing for me but guarantees that I will have to pay a
    blackmail fee for early termination if I want to close my account for
    any reason!

    Sprint's coverage and sound is quality is superior to Verizon's in
    most of the areas that I cover in Northern California. The results are
    the same with 4 different Verizon phone and 2 different Sprint phones.
    BTW, I wouldn't go so far to recommend Sprint, it's just working
    better for me than any other carrier in area.

    So I guess that I'm going to have to bite the bullet and pay the early
    termination fee to get my number BUT I will extract my pound of flesh.
    --
    Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail me)

    "agentHibby" <agentHibby.1nsouz@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in
    message news:agentHibby.1nsouz@nospam.cellphoneforums.net...

    > dr.wireMORE@VZW-MidWESTma Wrote:
    > > Over the last few years, we have discussed the quality of veizon
    > > service;
    > > but always discussed with some malice their business practices.
    > >
    > > After many years as an authorized agent; without warning; a fax
    arrives
    > > on
    > > Friday 3:30pm saying they are not renewing our agency AND that our
    > > agency
    > > expires the next day. Not even an apology, no explanation, award
    > > after
    > > award for excellence, and suddenly this.
    > >
    > > As a customer enjoy the service; as a business, I can't even
    fathom
    > > what
    > > they have done to me and our team. They have put a lot of people
    out
    > > of
    > > work today; and not even an I'm sorry. Worse yet, not even a
    reason
    > > offered. Oh, yes, they remind me that the contract has a clause
    in it
    > > that
    > > allows them to cancel at any time (and need not explain why).
    Love
    > > this
    > > notes file; but Verizon's Business Sense of Ethics- I guess my
    opinion
    > > is
    > > self evident. Kinda of different but about the same. Alot of
    Verizon's network it
    > had in Iowa on day one April 4, 2000 is now local spinoffs and
    MidWest
    > Wireless. In my hometown in April 2000 the local agent just sold a
    > phone plan and guy from Verizon Wireless from Des Moines showed up
    and
    > said "I need all the phones, phamplets, and all information you have
    > have on Verizon Wireless back." "We have lost the managing rights
    > this market and the new provider Lyrix wireless will contact you
    > tomorrow". The next day the network is change loss of mobile web,
    text
    > messaging, mobile to mobile all gone. My hometown went to have a
    large
    > national provider to a local spinoff Verizon still owns 49.5% of the
    > company.

    AT&T sold off half of Cellular1 on the West Coast but both companies
    denied that there was any connection until AT&T bought back the half
    it sold.
    --
    Chas. verktyg@aol.spamski.com (Drop spamski to E-mail me)

    In article <116cupj3njupae8@corp.supernews.com>,
    sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com says...
    > Louise wrote:
    > > In article <116aj1ttm0toab3@corp.supernews.com>,
    > > sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com says...
    > >>Thus if customers have any expectation that their cell
    > >>phone service is suposed to work in buildings, it's because the company
    > >>has led them to believe it is so.
    >
    > > Well said.
    > >
    > > Do the other providers, such as Cingular, say outdoors only? I ask
    > > because once again, I have coverage in only part of my home and I'm
    > > getting real tired of fighting with Verizon to open trouble tickets.
    >
    > I don't believe Cingular does. I do know that T-Mobile has a very
    > detailed coverage mapping tool that will clearly define service areas
    > based on street address or street intersections. It will shade areas on
    > the map based on whether you can expect good indoor coverage, marginal
    > or bad indoor but good outdoor coverage, or just bad coverage all
    > around. it's called "Personal Coverage Check" and you can find it at:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/82vvo
    >
    > In my trials will T-Mobile, I found the map to be very accurate. I was
    > unlucky enough to be in a place where everywhere BUT my house was in a
    > good signal area, and a quarter-mile bubble surrounding my house was
    > shaded on the coverage map as being an outdoor-coverage area. But the
    > sales rep convinced me to give it a go anyway.
    >
    > Sure enough, in-building coverage at my house wasn't very good. But,
    > the T-Mobile reps I spoke to were more than happy to take the phone
    > back, refund all charges, and everyone I spoke to, from the rep in a
    > T-Mobile call center, to the sales rep at the store, generally owned up
    > to the idea that coverage in my area needed to improve, saying "in
    > building coverage is bad, so this is a spot where we have to work on our
    > coverage... we hope you'll try us again after we've had a chance to
    > improve on things."
    >
    > That's a HUGE difference in attitude from Verizon's CEO it seems. It's
    > just a shame they don't offer high speed data, or I definitely would be
    > back.

    I just checked the map for my address and although it said great
    coverage, the text limited it to outdoors: "MAP INFORMATION: This map
    predicts and approximates our wireless coverage area outdoors, which may
    vary from market to market and may change without notice."

    They probably got too many complaints....

    Louise

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:14:55 -0700, "Quick"
    <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> chose to add this to the great equation of
    life, the universe, and everything:

    >YES! Cingular says the same thing. They said it to me.
    >I got Cingular some time back (4 years ago?) in the Bay Area.
    >I was on my way to LV at the time I picked up the phones.
    >Back home it barely worked in the house. To ensure an
    >uninterrupted (no drop) call we had to go into the garage
    >or the back yard. In the office (3rd floor with clear line of
    >sight to a major tower) it only worked towards the windows
    >along the outside of the building and not in the center
    >area/half of the floor. I called. I called 3 times and spoke with
    >3 different reps and 1 supervisor. All told me the same
    >thing "Do you have a electrical equipment in your building
    >like PC's?" "My phone doesn't work in my home either".
    >
    >Switched back to VZW (they were holding my account
    >and numbers for 90 days). Full signal in the home and
    >in the office. Even works in the all stainless steel elevators
    >which are located in the center of the building.

    Sounds like the "major tower" was a VZW, not Cingular, tower.

    http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
    "If truth is the first casualty of war, I guess sobriety is second.
    Hannibal must've crossed the Alps on pink elephants." - Hawkeye Pierce

    David S wrote:
    > On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 12:14:55 -0700, "Quick"
    > <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> chose to add this to the
    > great equation of life, the universe, and everything:
    >
    >> YES! Cingular says the same thing. They said it to me.
    >> I got Cingular some time back (4 years ago?) in the Bay
    >> Area.
    >> I was on my way to LV at the time I picked up the phones.
    >> Back home it barely worked in the house. To ensure an
    >> uninterrupted (no drop) call we had to go into the garage
    >> or the back yard. In the office (3rd floor with clear
    >> line of sight to a major tower) it only worked towards
    >> the windows
    >> along the outside of the building and not in the center
    >> area/half of the floor. I called. I called 3 times and
    >> spoke with 3 different reps and 1 supervisor. All told
    >> me the same
    >> thing "Do you have a electrical equipment in your
    >> building
    >> like PC's?" "My phone doesn't work in my home either".
    >>
    >> Switched back to VZW (they were holding my account
    >> and numbers for 90 days). Full signal in the home and
    >> in the office. Even works in the all stainless steel
    >> elevators which are located in the center of the
    >> building.
    >
    > Sounds like the "major tower" was a VZW, not Cingular,
    > tower.

    That's possible, but I think just about everybody in the world
    has a tower on Monument Peak.

    -Quick

    * * Chas wrote:
    > I've frequently had more
    > than 1 carrier at a time because of holes in the various companies
    > coverage.

    <..>

    > Sprint's coverage and sound is quality is superior to Verizon's in
    > most of the areas that I cover in Northern California. The results are
    > the same with 4 different Verizon phone and 2 different Sprint phones.
    > BTW, I wouldn't go so far to recommend Sprint, it's just working
    > better for me than any other carrier in area.

    If you're okay with sticking to Sprint, why not just add the $5 roaming
    option to your plan? That way you can roam (probably on Verizon) in
    areas where you might get a poor Sprint signal and use up to half your
    plan minutes as roaming without any roaming charges.

    --

    "Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
    > * * Chas wrote:
    > > I've frequently had more
    > > than 1 carrier at a time because of holes in the various companies
    > > coverage.

    > > Sprint's coverage and sound is quality is superior to Verizon's in
    > > most of the areas that I cover in Northern California. The results
    are
    > > the same with 4 different Verizon phone and 2 different Sprint
    phones.
    > > BTW, I wouldn't go so far to recommend Sprint, it's just working
    > > better for me than any other carrier in area.
    >
    > If you're okay with sticking to Sprint, why not just add the $5
    roaming
    > option to your plan? That way you can roam (probably on Verizon) in
    > areas where you might get a poor Sprint signal and use up to half
    your
    > plan minutes as roaming without any roaming charges.

    Roaming isn't the problem. Both Sprint and Verizon coverage is about
    the same throughout most of the areas that I travel except in my own
    neighborhood where Verizon's service has been terrible for the past
    month.

    I have an office at home where I receive up to 25% of my business
    calls. Verizon's coverage has become unacceptable within a 3 mile
    radius of my house. I need to switch (port) my Verizon Phone number
    over to Sprint.

    My Verizon phone number is listed on several web sites, all my
    business cards plus several 100 people have it programmed into their
    speed dial setups. Changing my primary number would be very
    inconvient.

    Verizon refuses to accept they have a network problem. I have a little
    over 2 months left on my contract. They want to charge me a $225 early
    termination fee to change the number plus another activation fee to
    get a new phone number with them.

    Sprint is also going want to charge me another activation fee to
    change numbers.

    To add insult to injury, I got a form letter today from Sprint saying
    that they ran a credit check on me and I only qualify for their Clear
    Pay program. I called to find out what the problem was and and was
    told by an attitudinal bitch that my credit line was $200 and my
    service would be turned off if I exceeded the limit. I talked with her
    supervisor who was polite but told me I had no recourse because of the
    report they recieved from RiskWise, who ever they are. There is no way
    of changing my account. I went ballistic!!!!

    I ran an online credit report. There were several over 30 days account
    reports from 1998 and that was it. They didn't even have my employer
    or correct address!

    About 6 years ago I paid off all of my bills and canceled all of my
    credit cards except one. I use ATM cards or cash for everything. I've
    saved hundreds of dollars in interest every year. All I owe is my
    $900/mo mortgage and they said my obligations were too high!

    All this from Sprint, the company with the most number of complaints
    to the Better Business Bureau of any US business!

    I have 2 weeks left to try out Sprint. I'm checking out Cingular
    tommorow!

    Service and support from ALL of the cellular carriers seems to be
    quickly deteriorating. No thanks to the merges and deregulation. With
    less compitetion, there's less reason to provide good service.

    "* * Chas" <dnafutz@aol.spam.com> wrote in message

    > Service and support from ALL of the cellular carriers seems to be
    > quickly deteriorating. No thanks to the merges and deregulation. With
    > less compitetion, there's less reason to provide good service.

    You are basing this on one merger? And how can they be deregulated when
    they were never regulated in the first place?

    Somebody needs to do some research.

    In article <116cupj3njupae8@corp.supernews.com>, sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com
    says...
    > http://tinyurl.com/82vvo

    this is the best interactive coverage map I've seen. If it is an accurate
    representation is another thing, but more of the big providers need to take
    this as a clue on how to serve customers.

    "* * Chas" <dnafutz@aol.spam.com> wrote in news:vvSdnaWK-Y5bYfTfRVn-
    uA@comcast.com:

    > Service and support from ALL of the cellular carriers seems to be
    > quickly deteriorating. No thanks to the merges and deregulation. With
    > less compitetion, there's less reason to provide good service.

    Welcome to Bushworld...

    "ratdog" <ratdog@smegma.net> wrote in message
    > "* * Chas" <dnafutz@aol.spam.com> wrote in news:vvSdnaWK-Y5bYfTfRVn-
    > uA@comcast.com:
    >
    >> Service and support from ALL of the cellular carriers seems to be
    >> quickly deteriorating. No thanks to the merges and deregulation. With
    >> less compitetion, there's less reason to provide good service.
    >>

    > Welcome to Bushworld...

    My son is in the third grade and he has more understanding of business and
    economics than you obviously do;-)

    Indoor coverage: Yes Verizon ADVERTISES that the phone works in elevators,
    subways, in the middle of the swamp. They do EVERYTHING to encourage that
    the phone works everywhere, and NOTHING to dispel the fact that it doesn't
    work in just as many places. Fair enough.

    But the fine print says it all: coverage not available in all areas. And
    then there is the Verizon president ranting about why in the world customers
    would get the idea that phones work indoors.... why because you peddle it
    that way.. duh It is pretty clear, the arrogant Verizon President takes his
    stock options and profits home; while he "disses" the consumer for believing
    the VZW advertising... go figure.
    --
    dr. wireMORE (don't accept "less", demand "more")
    Wireless Consultant/Engineer & FORMER Midwest VZW Master Agent
    Data, wi-fi, national access, smartphones, and home
    computer healthchecks, stop worrying... just ask for the dr.

    If you need specific help, leave your email address & we'll try to contact
    you. Worried about leaving your email address..... yup, me too.
    > Quick wrote:
    >>>Thus if customers have any
    >>>expectation that their cell phone service is suposed to
    >>>work in buildings, it's because the company has led them
    >>>to believe it is so.
    >>

    >> Not exactly. I think it has come to be accepted over time
    >> due to the fact that it does generally work indoors.
    >
    > Your response completely ignores what I've already laid out in my last
    > post: Verizon perpetuates that expectation by setting up environments in
    > stores where the service works indoors, the marketing materials point to
    > indoor use, and the sales reps themselves have the same indoor service
    > expectation.
    >

    > --
    > E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
    > Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.

    Termination. Hah, they didn't call it termination. They called it
    non-renewal. The contract says that they need to provide me with 30 days
    notice. They didn't. Up-Me, I guess.

    dr.wireMORE@formerVZW-MidWESTma wrote:
    > that way.. duh It is pretty clear, the arrogant Verizon President takes his
    > stock options and profits home; while he "disses" the consumer for believing
    > the VZW advertising... go figure.

    Treating the customer like an idiot is how all of the ILECs (and a good number
    of their competitors) do business, not just Verizon.

    Thank $DEITY I'm no longer an SBC customer. :)

    * * Chas wrote:

    > To add insult to injury, I got a form letter today from Sprint saying
    > that they ran a credit check on me and I only qualify for their Clear
    > Pay program. I called to find out what the problem was and and was
    > told by an attitudinal bitch that my credit line was $200 and my
    > service would be turned off if I exceeded the limit. I talked with her
    > supervisor who was polite but told me I had no recourse because of the
    > report they recieved from RiskWise, who ever they are. There is no way
    > of changing my account. I went ballistic!!!!
    >
    > I ran an online credit report. There were several over 30 days account
    > reports from 1998 and that was it.

    Well, that'll do it. As long as those entries are on your credit
    report, they will adversely affect any credit decision.

    > They didn't even have my employer
    > or correct address!

    then you need to call the credit reporting agencies and make
    corrections. Until then, don't blame the wireless carrier for your
    adverse credit history.

    Also: RiskWise and Lightbridge are CRAs that cater specifically to the
    wireless industry. Have you welched on any phone bills recently? If
    you have, then LightBridge and RiskWise will report that to carriers
    pulling those reports, even if those account sdo not appear on any of
    the "Big Three" credit reporting agencies.

    > About 6 years ago I paid off all of my bills and canceled all of my
    > credit cards except one. I use ATM cards or cash for everything. I've
    > saved hundreds of dollars in interest every year. All I owe is my
    > $900/mo mortgage and they said my obligations were too high!
    >
    > All this from Sprint, the company with the most number of complaints
    > to the Better Business Bureau of any US business!
    >
    > I have 2 weeks left to try out Sprint. I'm checking out Cingular
    > tommorow!
    >
    > Service and support from ALL of the cellular carriers seems to be
    > quickly deteriorating. No thanks to the merges and deregulation. With
    > less compitetion, there's less reason to provide good service.

    --
    E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Verizon Internet Service Providers