Hard drive Coolers worth getting?

kimbahpnam

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Just curious....seen these around and wondered if hard drives actually need extensive cooing. Are these a 'must' have if OC'ng? If so, which would be good to get?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kimbahpnam on 01/12/03 04:06 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

svol

Champion
They are not really needed, unless you have much HDs close to eachother or bad ventilation inside your case.

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!
--- PM me for information.

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Or unless you're running a web-server or large server-type computer, where their lower temperature can mean slight performance difference; otherwise, its worth it in 10k rpm drives (SCSI) and higher, since those create heat-buildup.

Ahhh! It's 2003 and wait, whats this!? My computer didn't blow up! ... Well damn, there goes my new Athlon @ 333FSB and my inssurance claim... heheheh

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i dont think they make too much of a difference anyway, first of all, they have paper stickers on them, not the best heat transfer material, also the case is made from steel, a terrible heat transfer material also. maybe the high end drives have better cooling devices but the average desktop machine will not bennefit.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your drive should be cool enough without them, unless you mount a stack of them very close together.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

soc

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2003
My initial thought behind how a person could benefit from this is, in a situation where your using consumer level drives for server applications. Ive had a Seagate and a Maxtor drive go on me, I think because I would run my comp 24/7 only restarting every second day. Seeing as consumer level drives arent rated for this kind of abuse, wouldnt a few degrees shaved off the temperature help a drives life?

The argument was made by someone that "THe paper sticker doesnt work as a great heat transfering du-hicky"( or something to that effect). I for one have never seen a water based HD cooler that attached to the top or bottom of the drive. THe only one Ive seen is the one made by Innovatek and that cooler mounts to the sides of the drive, so it would be cooling the hard drives case*theoretically*

Id like to rehash this topic briefly. Any thoughts and opinions are always welcome,

-Farsited

If I stopped spending time tinkering I'd be spending too much time on this forum

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, I've never seen a drive die from heat. Usually the bearings wear out from...rotation, years of rotation. Or the cards die from a power surge. Or in the case of Western Digital, the cards die for no apparent reason no matter how cool the drive was, almost as if they were programed that way.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>