HELP: Core Voltages !

UDHA

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2003
I have an AMD XP 1800+ (1.53Mhz) running on an ASUS A7V333 Motherboard.
I have used both auto and manual setting in BIOS for the core voltage and both set it to 1.75V however in the Mobo stats reading it always tells me it's running the core voltage at 1.79V and I am sick of having a cpu that is hotter than I want it to be.

Sorry this isn't much of an O/C question, but I believe this forum should know the most about this topic, cheers all!

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
Nearly every ASUS board ever made (at least in recent times), overvolts by about 0.4V to 0.55V. They do this to obtain greater stability over the competitors. It's likely not hurting your temps very much, perhaps one degree C.

-Col.Kiwi

svol

Champion
If you want a lower one just set the VCore to 1.7V and see if that works and also keeps your CPU stable.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah. ASUS has a annoying habit of doing that, raising the core and memory voltage a little inorder to increase stability.

So what you can do is undervolt it, progressivly lower the voltage, a little bit at a time, until it becomes unstable. Depending on your CPU you might be able to run quite stable at 1.7v or even less.

My previous cpu, a 1.75v XP1800+, could run quite well at only 1.625v! And very coool.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>

UDHA

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2003
Thanks to everybody who has replied, I now belive it is the motherboard choosing this setting. Annoyingly the lowest setting I can choose is 1.75V in the soft menu, I'll have a look later in the BIOS manual for possible jumper settings, but I really don't care anymore, as I think it's not anything thats wrong. thanks again.