Basic firewall/networking question

Last response: in Networking
May 10, 2004 2:21:43 PM

We are trying to implement a proxy server on a different subnet than
the current firewall and proxy. The goal is to slowly test and
migrate all nodes from the old subnet to the new one. At this time, I
cannot get the proxy on the new subnet to work with the firewall on
the old subnet. Is this what I should expect or am I just missing
something quite basic? The indication that I am getting leads me to
believe that the site is unreachable. I am getting authenticated on
the new proxy, however. I believe the issue is that I am unable to
set the default gateway on the new proxy to the ip address of the
firewall, which is how the old proxy is running. If I didn't mention
it previously, the old proxy and firewall are running on the same
subnet.

The two subnets are connected using windows xp with two nic's in it.
All nodes seem to be reachable from either direction.

Any help would be appreciated.
Anonymous
May 11, 2004 2:53:57 AM

Hi,

apollyon <dschultz34@hotmail.com> wrote:
> The two subnets are connected using windows xp with two nic's in it.

So this machine is the default gateway for the new proxy.
You (usually) cannot have a default gateway in another subnet.

Greetings,
Jens
!