Sign in with
Your question

Space game from the 80's?

Last response: in Video Games
October 27, 2012 11:11:12 PM

I'm looking for a game from the 80's, maybe early 90's. The idea is you crash land on a planet and have to try to survive (quite difficult at the beginning, as I recall). The gameplay is similar to simcity/civilization. Primarily you're building your city and trying to survive (another thought is that it's a rather hostile environment--unbreathable air, etc). Until I started googling, I thought for sure the name of it was Planetfall. But either that's not the name of it, or it is but was never published as such. Any ideas or suggestions of where to look? I've been looking through abandonware sites' simulation sections... but no luck yet.

More about : space game

October 27, 2012 11:26:32 PM

emyros said:
I'm looking for a game from the 80's, maybe early 90's. The idea is you crash land on a planet and have to try to survive (quite difficult at the beginning, as I recall). The gameplay is similar to simcity/civilization. Primarily you're building your city and trying to survive (another thought is that it's a rather hostile environment--unbreathable air, etc). Until I started googling, I thought for sure the name of it was Planetfall. But either that's not the name of it, or it is but was never published as such. Any ideas or suggestions of where to look? I've been looking through abandonware sites' simulation sections... but no luck yet.

Alpha Centauri
m
l
October 28, 2012 2:48:37 AM

Nope, Alpha Centauri is much more advanced (graphically, and I think the "technology tree" is probably not even half of a "civilization" type game). In the game I'm thinking of, you have to produce your own "survive another turn"-type resources (I believe one of them is oxygen). Although I've never played "moonbase/lunarbase", it seems like those games are somewhat close in concept to "planetfall". Another thing I keep thinking about it is that maybe it was made for a less-known OS like OS/2 (had that for about a year around the time I recall playing this game). Thanks for the guess, DigDog.
m
l
Related resources
October 28, 2012 7:04:13 PM

Think "earlier version of Outpost". Top-down, though, not iso.
m
l
February 9, 2013 7:45:47 AM

aaawww. im looking for this too.. but no luck finding it :( ( you still haven't found the game yet? if you have please tell me :) 
m
l
February 25, 2013 1:59:15 PM

Nope, no luck. Have tried reviewing the list of games on the old "WayCool" CD I had back then... no luck.
m
l
April 15, 2013 1:52:01 PM

mazekaiser said:
aaawww. im looking for this too.. but no luck finding it :( ( you still haven't found the game yet? if you have please tell me :) 

How accurate is my description compared to what you remember? Any new (or even contradictory) details would be appreciated.
m
l
!