Space game from the 80's?

emyros

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
I'm looking for a game from the 80's, maybe early 90's. The idea is you crash land on a planet and have to try to survive (quite difficult at the beginning, as I recall). The gameplay is similar to simcity/civilization. Primarily you're building your city and trying to survive (another thought is that it's a rather hostile environment--unbreathable air, etc). Until I started googling, I thought for sure the name of it was Planetfall. But either that's not the name of it, or it is but was never published as such. Any ideas or suggestions of where to look? I've been looking through abandonware sites' simulation sections... but no luck yet.

digdog

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012

Alpha Centauri
alpha-centauri-pic3.jpg

emyros

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Nope, Alpha Centauri is much more advanced (graphically, and I think the "technology tree" is probably not even half of a "civilization" type game). In the game I'm thinking of, you have to produce your own "survive another turn"-type resources (I believe one of them is oxygen). Although I've never played "moonbase/lunarbase", it seems like those games are somewhat close in concept to "planetfall". Another thing I keep thinking about it is that maybe it was made for a less-known OS like OS/2 (had that for about a year around the time I recall playing this game). Thanks for the guess, DigDog.

emyros

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

How accurate is my description compared to what you remember? Any new (or even contradictory) details would be appreciated.

emyros

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Sorry to keep dragging this up from the past, but I have an awesome update! :D I actually *have* the game! I just found it in an old zip file on an old CD backup of an old backup folder from an old machine. XD Anyway... just found it and had to come post immediately! Haven't been able to get it to run yet, complaining about dx6amap.dll. (DirectX 6? Apparently *not* a game from the 80's. oops!) Need to go dig around some more...

I went looking for some plain text in the files and found a lot of really non-specific stuff ("Colony was not sustainable", etc). Sure enough though, there are multiple references to "Planetfall", but also "Ares" and just "Planet". Googling doesn't help on those terms. Oh! Just found a URL. "kimbrosoft.com". Nuts, doesn't exist anymore. Googling... http://www.softandco.com/a/2421/planet-the-new-frontier.html This certainly sounds like the game. Download doesn't work (links back to non-existent kimbrosoft.com).

That reminds me of the waybackmachine. http://web.archive.org/web/20010721002911/http://kimbrosoft.com/ BINGO!

This is definitely the game... though I either meshed some other game into it in my recollections, or I had an older version. (Graphics are a bit nicer than my mental image, and I have a note written in a separate txt about a bug that doesn't seem to jive with what I'm seeing here.) SO freakin' excited. ^^ Okay, I've gotta go see if I can get this thing to run! (Now that I finally identified it, anyone else remember this game??)

emyros

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

I do not. I had originally purchased the game, but the email account i had used back then had *long* since deleted my emails from my account. (I did manage to restore the email account, but it didn't come with emails). >.>

The game is technically "full version" when you download it from the web archive. It's just *locked*. But is so old-school... I imagine if you get a hacking enthusiast on the case, that you'll probably be unlocked in an hour.

emyros

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Got it! I was totally right, I have a friend who's just poked around with ollydbg... he had the key function removed in an hour. Internet, Planet has been restored to you! ^.^ (Check my Planet thread over in abandonia)

carlwryker

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015

I'm not seeing it on abandonia. Could you kindly share a link?

EDIT: Found it.