croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Would it be too difficult to include a 'bug' at the top of every major page (ie, home page, news page etc.,) indicating one's PM status? '0 messages' or '2 messages' would be enough. Or, even shorter, '0 PM's'. Just seems silly to have to post in a forum 'hey (username) check your PM's!'.

Ok, I'll make it a bit more complicated... If a user has unanswered PM's, make the 'bug' flash. Nah, one thing at a time. Easily findable notifications first, THEN I'll whinge about the flashing 'bug'.

C'mon, guys, this can't be rocket science. I'd be willing to bet that within the user community itself you could get it coded for FREE!

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

On the homepage?
In the 'news' section?
Where? The only place that I can find is within a forum thread.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Hence my whinge... Too bed Fredi is 'no longer with us'. These issues could be straightened out within a day or two. Hell, I could probably do it, clumsily, in a day or two... I think that I know the source code that needs to be inserted, it would just be a matter of trying it out on a 'sandbox' to make sure it worked (and didn't break anything else), then release the code in the next update....

Oh well. I really don't expect anyone from 'best of media' to really give a ***. ('best of media'???? Every time I see that I don't know whether to laugh or cry...)

I was a member of this website before Dr. Pabst took it to Cali-forn-ia, and am appalled at the changes that have been made in the past few years. I understand the need to 'monetize' the site, but the rollover ads, pop-ups etc. that have been appearing ever more frequently are just irritating to the point of wanting to abondon the site for good. My good

OK, rant over. (and I should get a new 'rank' after I vote you 'best answer'. Bas*tar*ds)

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Please explain what you mean by 'anywhere in the forum'. Maybe Opera blocks it? And IE?

randomizer

Champion
Top right of the right hand column with all the News and Latest Articles stuff there's a box with 3 tabs. It's got a profile summary, a list of all threads you've replied to with new posts (blue flagged threads) and the third tab is for PMs. It's visible from any page in the forum, including the root. Of course if you hide the right column you won't see this. I used to hide it but I find this very useful for finding threads I responded to that I used quick reply in and thus don't have email notifications. Out of all the additions to the forum so far I think it's one of the most useful. Now if only they made it so that people who hide the right column can see when they have PMs...

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Hmm.... All I see is the header, 'Tom's Guide
|
Tom's Games
|
TOM'S HARDWARE GUIDE Worldwide followed by a bunch of flags. (None of which are Australian....)

Next down, RSS (symbol)Mobile (symbol)

Next down, croc's profile Log Out

No three boxes. But then again, I never did learn what the three seashells were for....

randomizer

Champion
You don't see this?

right_column.png

(Win 7 Paint has arrows and other cool shapes!) :bounce:

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

All cute references to win 7 aside, I feel like I am chasing my tail here. Yes, any time I am in a 'forum' or a thread, I can see it. No problemo. However, if I am in 'tomshardware.com' homepage, or in any news article under the home page, then there is no (visible to me) notification of whether I have a PM or not. If I am busy, I may just pop in for a few minutes to scan what passes for news. So several days may pass before I visit a forum, or look at a 'Hot Questions and Replies' topic. That's my point. From the homepage, there is no notification. From within a news article, there is no notification.

ARRRrrggghhh....

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

Hence, why I opened the thread.... This is not rocket science, boys and girls. Most people's book mark will be 'tomshardware.co(x).xx'. There is no notification from the homepage, even if logged in. There is no notification from the news section off of the homepage, even if logged in. I find this a bit annoying, as I then have to go into a forum, find a thread where the person is active, and ask them to check their PM's, hoping that they will read the rest of the thread... What's a matta with a big red blinking light on the home page, with a sub-heading of 'You've got messages'?

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
OK, I'll cut you some slack. I'm a bit narky this week, due to a client not living up to his end of our contract... I REALLY don't like lawyers.