oqtoe

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
I have a Athlon 1800+ XP. I pushed it to 2100+ and it's been stable for months now.
Internal Clock: 1724.99mhz
System Bus: 300mhz ddr
System Clock: 150mhz
Multiplier: 11.5

Despite being stable for quite a while I'm wondering if this might be causing to much stress on my system that I'm unaware of? Is there certain signs I should keep a look out for to that I don't burn out?

oqtoe

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The only way to burn it out is to overheat it or apply too much voltage. You didn't mention even raising the voltage, so there's no reason to expect anything bad to happen.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
well, crashman is forgetting the fact that everything is heating a little more, so there is some additional stress on the system, unless you're cooling properly... ARE YOU? I mean, exhaust, intakes and more.. ?

Have you ever stuck your finger in a Vantec Tornado? That's 5700rpm right there - ouch. Today's public service announcement: don't play with plugged-in fans - especially Tornados..heh.

svol

Champion
The only way to burn it out is to <b>overheat</b> it or apply too much voltage. You didn't mention even raising the voltage, so there's no reason to expect anything bad to happen.
First read then respond!

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
yeah yeah yeah, SORRY :p

Have you ever stuck your finger in a Vantec Tornado? That's 5700rpm right there - ouch. Today's public service announcement: don't play with plugged-in fans - especially Tornados..heh.

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
Overclocking is perfectly ok like everyone said as long as you keep temps down as much as you can and the processor isnt overvolted to extremes...people say that it might shorten the life of the processor but I mean crap how long is a processors life these days before it is thrown in the closet soemwhere :smile:

oqtoe

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
No I haven't upped the voltage. And this might sound stupid but where I live the winters are very cold to I have a shelf I build on the window and I lean the open case against it. This seems to work because during the summer I can't push the cpu much past factory default.
Your probably right Civilized, in 2 years this cpu will probably be obsolete in running the application of that time. I'm not planning on using this system any longer then that anyway's.

What's a generally normal temperature for this overclocking? What temp should I not go over?

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
well, AMD says 80 degrees celcius is the maximum temperature, but I suggest trying to stay under 55 as a rule of thumb (just to help keep-up constant performance and a somewhat longer hardware life), since at 80 degrees you're looking at some damage.