Solved

BF3 issues on GTX 295

Ok guys, I need some help :)

I finally got a new PSU for my old PC, so I am up and running for some BF3 PC action (been playing on Xbox). It's a dated system, but I have read tons of sites online that claim I should be able to do a lot better than 20-25 FPS. So I need some help with the settings or something, because now when I first loaded BF3, it auto-recommended all High Settings with 4X AA. It ran at these settings at 1080p at 25FPS. I lowered settings to ALL low, everything that could be turned off, and STILL got 25 FPS...never touched 30FPS, so I don't think it's VSync. Is there some setting in the NVidia Control Panel (I also have all the NVidia tools) that I should change? I know there may be issues with the dual GPU part or something. Online I have read my GPU should be able to handle at least 40-50 FPS on High with no AA. Specs Below, remember its dated, but I got no cash for an upgrade. I have not tried OCing anything, but cooling may be an issue, so I would prefer not to.

AMD Athlon X2 5600+ (2.8GHz Dual Core)
EVGA GTX 295 FTW Edition, running 306.97 drivers
4GB DDR2 @ 667MHz
Corsair 600W PSU
320GB 7200RPM HDD
Fresh Install of Windows 7 HP, (scanned with AVG and Malwarebytes, twice)

I have the above hooked up via DVI-HDMI to my 54 inch Panasonic TV, with Optical for sound. I appreciate any help I can get. I won't really be able to mess with the settings because I am at work... so I will try all recommendations once I get a chance.

I should add, I was testing all this on multiplayer, on a server that had 27/42 players. Caspian Border Conquest, mostly between Bravo and Delta Flags in the trees hiding lol. :D
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about issues
  1. Best answer
    I'd suggest monitoring your CPU usage first because BF3 hits very hard on dual core CPUs.
    It sounds like you've got a CPU bottleneck if your fps haven't changed between settings.
  2. Yea, that blows considering my motherboard is damn near maxed out at this point... The other "better" CPUs for my motherboard are all Dual Cores as well, I can use up to a 6400+, but those run for like $80 on ebay, so its not worth is to go up to 3.2GHz, and my MB is not compatible with and Black Edition CPUs either.

If it is in fact the CPU at 100% Usage, then I will have to wait to scrounge up some cash for a newer set-up, and stick to BF3 on the xbox :)
  3. GTX 295 should cope with BF3. It's still a fairly capable card even by today's standards (given that it's a dual GPU card). You won't be able to run it on the highest settings but medium should be ok.

However, I think the problem in your system is really the CPU. If you lower the graphics settings and get no improvement, that's a classic sign of a CPU bottleneck.

BF3 is one of the games that can really do with a fast quad - maybe consider upgrading that to a phenom II x4. I don't really know much about AMD CPUs and their sockets, but I believe I'm right in saying that a quad phenom II should be a drop in replacement. They are very capable CPUs and for all practical purposes, just as good as the more lauded i5/i7 offerings from Intel.
  4. The Phenom II X4 is an AM3 CPU, they also made some Phenom AM2+ CPUs, My Motherboard is an AM2, which isn't compatible with 2+ or 3. I have spent more time than I would care to admit researching this motherboard, because I don't want to spend any cash on a new set-up. All my cash is going into my car at the moment. Literally the best CPU I can get is the AMD Athlon X2 6400+ Windsor AM2 3.2GHz.

It's an HP, with a ASUS A8M2N-LA Motherboard. HP BIOS limits my max CPU, which is why I can't get the AM2 Black Edition Windsor or Brisbane CPUs. I don't know why I didn't put 2+2 together and think of a CPU bottleneck... I feel kinda dumb not thinking of it. Sems that is the problem, without even getting back on the computer to check... I still will though, just in case ;)
  5. Best answer selected by MustangDJP.
  6. Follow Up question.... I know I said I didn't want to OC, but if I were to get a new CPU cooler (~$20-$30), I saw in the Nvidia Tools I can OC the CPU as well. I think I saw I can go up to 3.4GHz, possible 3.6GHz, but obviously I don't know how stable this would be. What is the best way to test the stability of a CPU only OC?

I should add there is no OC features in the HP BIOS. So software OC is the only way I can go I think.

Also, how much fdo you think the above would help me in BF3? I could just bite the bullet and turn this thing into a cheap HTPC or something...
  7. Aside from a rather weak dual core CPU, does GTX 295 support DirectX 10/11? BF 3 has no directX 9.
  8. cgner said:
    Aside from a rather weak dual core CPU, does GTX 295 support DirectX 10/11? BF 3 has no directX 9.

The GTX 295 I own (linked above) is DirectX 10... So that would not be the issue.
  9. ah I see. Then yea, its the CPU :) Try getting a cheap Phenom 2 quad... or better yet get a new mobo and CPU like ivy bridge i5. Keep the other components till its time to upgrade :D
  10. cgner said:
    ah I see. Then yea, its the CPU :) Try getting a cheap Phenom 2 quad... or better yet get a new mobo and CPU like ivy bridge i5. Keep the other components till its time to upgrade :D

Would love to, but alas, I have a car I want to put money into, so I guess it'll have to wait
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Battlefield Video Games Product