Which games impressed you most and why?

jay2577

Honorable
For me the games which impressed me most were Deus Ex the original because it was like no other game i played before with so many options for weapons and game play style and the original Far Cry because the graphics were just so good and a huge leap forward in graphics history.I believe Black Hawk Down deserves an honorable mention for introducing me to online game play.

What about you guys?

Deus Ex Human Revolution was a game with a very deep philosophical meaning beneath it. I enjoyed it a lot.

Witcher 2 has an extremely rich story, interesting gameplay and stunning scenery. It shares the winner title with Deus Ex for me.

Portal 2 has very fun gameplay :).

World of Warcraft has ton of variety in it. The world is huge, the activity you can do is almost unending, and new content is getting released frequently. It's probably the game I've spent most time playing in my life - totaling of around 5000 hours.

I think there are actually several games... and Portal also really impressed me - interms of game design and the technical side of things. GTA3 really blew me away - an entire city to just go nuts in. And Assassin's Creed for the exploration and awesome combat. Mass Effect was also amazing when you find yourself with a whole galaxy to explore. Games like Freelancer for the same reason. And Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape Torment for just really capturing my imagination and creating awesome worlds (even though Bioware/Interplay were really just illustrating an existing creation).

jay2577

Honorable

I enjoyed Deus Ex human revolution too and Witcher 2 i will be trying over the next couple of months

jay2577

Honorable

ONLY one game Brett? I can remember when half life was popular too and i guessed someone would pick it:)

jay2577

Honorable

GTA 3 was good and very impressive for it's time. I think i should of included Assassins Creed in my original post as it's awesome. I can't wait for Assassins Creed 3:)

Yeah same here, though I can't see there being many tall buildings to climb in colonial America. Plus I need to play Dishonoured, I Am Alive, Max Payne 3, Serious Sam 3, Black Ops 2, Hitman Absolution, Far Cry 3, Baldur's Gate remake... and first I need to complete Borderlands 2, the Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate Booty DLC and the Mr Torgue's Campaign of Carnage DLC coming up!

Hi :)

Yes one lol...

I started playing when the Beta was "accidentally released" on the net in 1998 and still play the multiplayer online today... that's 14 years :)

All the best Brett :)

You tend to push some pretty top-end hardware for somebody who only plays Half-Life :) I played that on an AMD K6-2 500 and Voodoo.

Hi :)

Oh its not the only game I play... I play any new FPS, but only single player...I love HL Multiplayer, and thats the ONLY multiplayer game i have ever played... Boot camp, Subtransit etc etc...

All the best Brett :)

Dune 2 - it was the first game to use audio recordings of people when talking to units, and my first RTS.

Ultima Online - The first MMO (that I knew of, there was Meridian 59 that I was not aware of prior)

The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind - First Dx9 game that I saw with water. The water effect was so life like for the time.

Far Cry - extremely impressive graphics for the time, very open landscape for a FPS with multiple ways to engage an objective, and the sneaking was very fun.

jay2577

Honorable

I've been meaning to play through the elder scrolls games. My list of games to get is quite long and i think i won't get around to them until next year. I agree with Far Cry and think that game made me just love FPS. I'm playing Battlefield 3 at the moment which is good but very hard. The only problem with all these enhanced graphics is that it's very difficult to see the enemy sometimes with all the smoke and debris flying about. I think Battlefield 3 makes the call of duty games seem a lot more basic.

I loved Half-Life multiplayer too but got a lot of lag at the time... I remember the laser dot on the RPG always lagging way behind where I was aiming :) That Opposing Force addon was awesome too, easily as good as the original.

Agree about Far Cry - bullet decals on enemies should be standard! I first saw it in Quake 2 and a few games that followed had it, but now we're back to enemies with clean faces after headshot kills (with one or two exceptions of total cranial destruction, like Manhunt). Physics modelling was awesome in it too.