best xp cooling

hoserb2000

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2002
Hey, I know that there is the 34 heatsink review, but i just want to know what you think, what is the badest(when i say bad, i mean good, vigo23:)fan\heatsink combo for overclocking the 2400-2800+, withen i reasonable price?

YAhhhhhhh!!! Jan 27! Advance geforce fx seeing with Steve Molnar!!!!!!!! -you see, sticking with boy scouts finely paid off -mom

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
Swiftech also makes a heatsink fan/peltier solution called the swiftech mcx462+ T ($89.00). you can check it out here

<A HREF="http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swiftechmcx4621.html" target="_new">http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swiftechmcx4621.html</A>

I dont know how good this thing works and it requires an external psu to power the peltier but im sure that it would be the "badest' of hsf cooling besides going to a water cooling solution especially if you really want to overclock.

But besides that a simple solution would be the thermalright slk-800 is the best heatsink in my opinion along with a thermaltake smartfanII

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
i have an slk-800, and am currently using a cheap case fan with it, but i plan on getting a 5700rpm vantec tornado fan soon. neways i run an athlon xp2700 on an Asus a7n8x(im not ocing till i get the vantec, but i could and i have tried it), and according to Asus Probe i get 30-32c idle and 36-38c load, i have 8 case fans if you include the 2 on the power supply.
that still seems pretty damn low so asus probe could be lying, but the heatsink is cool to the touch so who knows!!!
also it looks sweet, and only cost me $44 on pricegrabber.

The first LAN party I went to was at a PETA convention. They booted me when I shot a crab in HL!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Anal Probe allways lies. Thats its job, to make Noobs feel safe and secure.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Ill get a 2nd opinion on that one, but it seems to be a very nice program.
oh, and P.S. I'm not at all a noob, so go screw yourself:)

The first LAN party I went to was at a PETA convention. They booted me when I shot a crab in HL!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Actually analprobe often reads too high as well.
It really is a flakey program.
Try Motherboard Monitor instead.

Regarding cooling, a good solution is a big-ass cooler with a large slow and QUIET fan.

Ive got a MCX-462 with either a panaflo 2000rpm quiet fan or the thermaltake smartfan2 that is temp controlled.

25% OC on my TbredA XP1700 and its as stable as a rock.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
i dont care one hoot about noise, ive either got my music blasting or a game blasting so i cant hear anything anyways. ill take the 5700rpm 84cfm delta tornado fan.
i used to have a dragon orb 2, with the 7k rpm fan on it, it was pretty damn loud too.

hoserb2000

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2002
what do you think about the volcano 9, fan/heatsinks in that pricerange are about all i can afford (now)ne thing better than the V7+/9 in that pricerange?

YAhhhhhhh!!! Jan 27! Advance geforce fx seeing with Steve Molnar!!!!!!!! -you see, sticking with boy scouts finely paid off -mom

svol

Champion
The Volcano 9 comes with a nice fan but is made from aluminium and thus performance much lower then the Volcano 7(+).
How about an Swiftech MCX462 or an Alpha PAL8045?

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
yes go with either the swiftech mcx462+ or the thermalright slk-800 and one of the quiet fans that were suggested for your best combo
also dont forget good thermal paste....artic silver III seems to be the goop of choice

hoserb2000

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2002
yes, those are very nice heatsinks, bout I am looknig for for a cooling solution a bit under $50, any ideas?

G

here is a second opinion. in my experience ass-probe is one flakey unstable innacurate POS.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
noooooooo anal probe probes ass!

hoserb2000

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2002
ok, it sucks, whatever. still, any cheaper ideas?

hoserb2000

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2002
any atall?

hoserb2000

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2002
not even one??????????????

hoserb2000

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2002
ok, pay no notice to hoserb2000

svol

Champion
Sorry, but I don't have an idea which cheap HSF performs best... I only know the top performers and they are already mentioned.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

svol

Champion
Oh wait I just rembered a nice HSF but I don't know its price... it is the GloblaWin CAK4.

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
the volcano 7+ is your best bet for good cheap performance, it has a speed controller as well, as i'm sure you know. the slk-800 is also pretty cheap and good
there's your answer
i used to have problems with asus probe until version 2.18.07
since then it has read the same as mbm5

--------------

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">mubla otohp eht ni ecaf ruoy teg</A>

hoserb2000

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2002
ok, 1 more thing, how much can i cheap out overclocking say the 2400+ ?

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
cheap and Overclock dont always go together.. you usualy end up spending more on higher quality stuff to get a better overclock, IMHO

<font color=green>::: Sir, I'd like to return this cpu, it is dead.</font color=green> <font color=blue>::: Its not dead, its resting...</font color=blue>

Codinerx

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
Go with the tornado. It is loud, but if you are playing games or music you won't even notice. I actually hooked a rheostat up to it (finally got that to work) and I can control the fan speed very well. Either way, you can't beat it in terms of brute strength. Good luck!

AOL dialup is a nightmare... and I'm living it