How 2 take off coolers on 9700PRO?

ibeloved

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2003
Hi,
I just want to know how to take off the cooler on ATI 9700PRO? I tried to take off it by force, but I am afriad to break it. Could anybody tell me how to do it?

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There are 2 pins holding it down. in the center of the pin it pulls out from the top enabling the lower portion to collapse and fir back thru hole. There is a TIM material that will be damaged when you remove the HSF.

You will also find that the core is countersunk and you will need a thick glob of artic silver compound to fill the gap. Do not get artic silver on the green area of the top of the core. You will see small surface mount parts that can be shorted out with AS3.

You can remove the silver shim around the outside of the core but it will obviously void your warrantly.

Leave the HSF on if you do not have any backup heat sink compound to fill the void. Do not expect to put it back on with original TIM material as it usually gets destroyed when you take it apart.

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>

ibeloved

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2003
Thank you very very much!!!!!!!!!
But I wanna put AS3 in the gap (about 1mm)between VPU and HSF, do you know any kind of backup HSF I can use?

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Nope, I use a waterblock on my R9700

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>