Sign in with
Your question

P4 1.8a instead of XP 2000?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 19, 2003 1:03:07 AM

First, until today, never even considered p4s. I am getting ready for an upgrade but "have a limited budget" I HAVE to get mobo, CPU, 256m or more DDR ram, case, cooler, and floppy and I must do it for 425US including shipping. This is what I thought I was getting from Newegg. I am pretty certain I want them, given their reputation.
I do not intend to overclock the AMD. Keep in mind, I do not need any ISA slots, but I need at least 3, if the mobo has onboard LAN worth squat.
Gigabyte GA7VAX mobo $89
XP2000 Retail with fan and cooler $90
512 meg KINGSTON KVR333X64C25/512 32x64 PC2700 DDR $113
Sony floppy drive $8
Case MAXTOP CSX-147K-GF-USB-GRAY 350w and front USB $39
Thermaltake volcana 9 smart and silent CPU Fan $25
All told, with shipping $385, well below my limit of absolute upper limit of $425
I know that I can save a few bucks on the OEM version of the CPU over the boxed OEM version, but I feel more comfortable with the boxed one.

The gigabyte MOBO is worrying me. I understand it has had some vid card issues. Not married to that mobo
Anyway, now various things have led me to consider a p4
I can keep most of what is listed above, and just change mobos and CPUS. Figgered on getting a 1.8a ghz P4 and overclocking it. If I can hit 2.4 with it, the extra 53 bucks it costs will be well worth it. However, if I pay 53 extra bucks, then I am over budget. I can live with 256meg of ram for now I guess, that will save me about 53 bucks which is the difference, but I want that ram. The worst problem is that I have spent years in the AMD mindset, and have researched my purchase now for at least 3 months. So I think I have a pretty good feel for the AMD side. I am confident that if I decided on a nforce2 chipset, I can find a motherboard I am happy with for the AMD in no time flat. But I am so unfamiliar with the pentium side, even with a good weekend of research, I still don't really understand what is good and what is bad for the P4, especially when I feel like I HAVE to overclock the 1.8a ghz processor to get the value out of it.

I know that for OCing, Asus fits the bill, but you pay a heavy price penalty. I would like to find a P4 MOBO with similar features and price of the AMD one, and be reasonably sure I am can squeeze that extra 500 or 600 mhz outta the 1.8a. Otherwise, I will just stick with the XP and use the extra heat it produces to warm my feet.

Stability is important, features next.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Honkwomp on 01/19/03 10:25 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : 2000

a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 19, 2003 6:40:04 PM

The 1.8A is an easy overclock for 2400MHz.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 19, 2003 6:41:06 PM

Oh, and if you want a nice, solid, inexpensive board, consider the Asus P4S533 (not the newer, less reliable P4S8X).

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
Related resources
January 19, 2003 11:27:30 PM

Thanks ever so much for the reply!

Then as long as I can stay under that 425 budget, then it looks kinda like a no brainer. Far as I know the volcano 9 works just fine on a socket 478 p4, so really all I need is a mobo!
I will look at the mobo you suggested. I like to game, but I am not playing the absolute cutting edge stuff. And besides, money is a big factor.
I am assuming that even with the P4s multiplier lock, I can get the performance to above a xp2000 with just the increase in bus speed. Nothing I have is top notch, so I doubt that the other components can tolerate much increase in speed. LOL this opens a whole nuther can of worms :) 
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
January 19, 2003 11:51:44 PM

you'll want the Retail Boxed CPU and the Retail Boxed cooler, you get a 3 year warranty, low noise, and great cooling that way.

January 20, 2003 12:17:06 AM

Thanks again. I looked at new egg for the mobo you suggested, it is outta stock. If it is not instock when I go to order tues, then this is the mobo I will probably get instead.
ASUS P4PE/L Motherboard for Intel P4 478

I had to give up 256 meg of ram but I came in at 390 including shipping, so I am still where I want to be.

The CPU is a retail boxed version with cooler and fan, and so I was able to delete the Thermaltake volcano 9 can and save 25 bucks.
But I still get most everything I want. I cannot wait to upgrade. My current k6-2-450 socket 7 system is getting kinda lame ;) 
January 20, 2003 1:32:23 PM

dude, getting the AMD retail box is a waste of money - its the same CPU, but boxed with a fan instead... the only reason that the warrantee on the "retail box" CPU is longer than the OEM one is because there's a clause in the retail box warrantee - it says that the warrantee is void should you use any other cooling device on the CPU. Now for the extra cash, why don't you pick yourself a video card instead of a better motherboard (since the one you're getting is ok)... look for a Radeon 9000 64mb if you're not doing any serious gaming, or for a little more go for a GeForce4 Ti4200 (about $120).

Woohoo! Broke the 30-celcius barrier with through the loud and innefficient world of air-cooling! Also, never - NEVER - play with gum in one hand and hair in the other... just trust me.
January 20, 2003 4:10:49 PM

Or Radeon 9500.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek: 
January 21, 2003 2:04:21 AM

Well as far as the retail box, gotta go with crashman on that ) I am about maxed out budget wise, but I will remember that vid card. The Geforce2 MX I bought was probably one of the worst mistakes I have ever made, 64 meg of ram or not! ;)  My wifes ATI kicked it's ass all over the place, depsite the fact that they were supposed to be comparable cards at the time, and they were comparably priced.
January 29, 2003 11:34:31 AM

a 1.8P4 should be fine for now (still rare to find a program that needs even 1ghz !!!) XP2000 is equal to any socket423/478 P4 up to 2ghz definately...

is it summer already ??? oh, its just the heat haze coming off my PC...
February 8, 2003 5:22:26 PM

Sounds to me like you got a pretty good deal all the way around. I hope it all works out for you.
!