senorsacapuntas

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
hello i am looking for a cheap gaming desktop that can run dayZ im looking for a price range around $400 to $600 please reply if you have a good website or place to get one.

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
Build one yourself is best option, if not then eBay. If you want to build your own then there are many people on these forums who can help you out with choosing components

^
Bad an unbalanced setup. Where is the motherboard? Why is the graphics card so weak? :(

Something like this would be much better:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Pentium G860 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor ($68.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H61M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($25.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($81.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($209.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: Rosewill REDBONE ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($35.83 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($91.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $605.73
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

woggy101

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Bad and unbalanced what are you talking about? Most of the system I suggested come’s in a combo if you actually did your research and looked at the link’s you also would have seen the motherboard I suggested. Why would you suggest a G860 when the i5 2500k clearly owns it hands down?
Yes the graphics card I selected is nowhere near as powerful as the one you suggested however it’s only $100 and can be changed later when a budget for it becomes available.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Woggy and Sunius both have missteps here. Sunius's CPU choice is questionable, while Woggy seemingly thinks an ati 7770 is more powerful than a gtx 660, which it isn't.

Woeful results for poor senorsacapuntas :(

woggy101

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

if you had read my post correctly i never said that a 7770 was more powerfull i actually agreed that it wasn't here read it again

Yes the graphics card I selected is nowhere near as powerful as the one you suggested however it’s only $100 and can be changed later when a budget for it becomes available.

the 660 would kill a 7770 in it's sleep the only reason i suggested to use it was to save money and go back for something a little more powerfull later like a 660 ti or a 6950 when he had the money to do do

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Ah yes, you are quite right my mistake.

In response to this though, why not just save for an extra paycheck and not end up with a redundant piece of $100+ hardware that you hope to phase out asap? Just a thought.

woggy101

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

well you have a very valid point i'm still young and dumb lol. i just thought just so he could get it going would do then when the time was right he could then take the drive that's what i did anyway

Actually, it's not from 5 years ago and it's a very capable gaming CPU.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-apu-benchmark,3120-6.html

Because in gaming, graphics card is much more important than the CPU. It's the factor that's going to limit whether you will be able to play on medium or high settings. Pentium is more than enough for card like GTX 660.

woggy101

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

yes that may be the case to a point, the cpu is just as important like i said if it were me i would be getting the better CPU dealing with the less powerfull card because at the end of the day it can be upgraded at anytime and the other card sold off. all you have shown with this link is that the 2500k beat's the hell out of your Pentium, the GPU dose not guarantee you are going to have the FPS it can output the CPU also come's into it as your benchmark show's

Yes, i5 is faster, but it's also much more expensive. Also, that might be the truth that it's better to get a better CPU first, and then upgrade the graphics card, but only if you're willing to upgrade, and most people aren't. The OP has limited budget, and he cannot get everything the best. That's why you got to compromise. He will not want to spend over his maximum budget and have to still upgrade the graphics card.

My link shows that the Pentium is faster than anything AMD has to offer, so it will without a problems work for all games. There are many people who play with AMD CPUs just fine. Also, that benchmark was done with HD 7970, which shows that the CPU will not bottleneck even the best of the GPUs (it will limit them a bit on some games, though).

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

I think you both have some valid points in retrospect. Same question that I posed to woggy I would pose to you though. In this case, an extra hundred dollars would go a long way (the cost difference between your suggested cpu and mobo vice an i5 sandy bridge). It's hard to overlook that the performance and future-proofing of the i5 could easily be argued to offset the price difference and perhaps result in a longer lasting build. While it might not be the same instant gratification (as he may need to set a bit aside out of an extra paycheck for instance), the long term investment is just so much more sound.

I always think to myself when a thread about a budget PC in the $600 range pops up, just save for an extra month and buy something that will remain relevant significantly longer. It's easy to sometimes overlook longevity potential when you're in the PC gaming community since many of us are in a rush for the newest and the best, but it's still a salient issue of concern for someone not looking to incur that financial penalty over and over. I may be alone in this, but it's always been my inclination. Sort of setting a minimum threshold of potential longevity and relevance and trying not to drop below it just for the sake of an accruable sum.

woggy101

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

i couldn't have said it better myself

woggy101

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012

i agree with you on it being faster than anything AMD has to offer lol haha dont get me wrong im not a fan boy