need help with settings pleaseee

killingfloor

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
hi, hope you can help..heres my specs first, asus a7n8x deluxe mobo, athalon 2700 xp, 2-256 sticks of cosair pc 3500 433 mhz memory, 80 gig 8 mb cache hd, 500 w power supply gold, 1002 beta c bios,,got memory at 5-2-2-2t, i get 13845 for 3 d mark i want to get at least 15000 , can u tell me what i need to set fsb, multis, v core and that stuff, i tried to put at 200 fsp and wouldnt boot up, i got volcano 9 fan also, my memory says 166 when i boot up? hope u can help....thanx alot great forums by the way...

svol

Champion
Your XP2700+ runs at a default FSB of 166Mhz (333Mhz efective in DDR). Just start increasing the FSB a couple of MHz a time. Check the temps and stability. If your temps aren't high but the CPU isn't stable increasing the VCore might help to run it moer stable... but the CPU will create more heat at a higher VCore.

Which videocard do you have BTW?

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

killingfloor

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
thanx,,i have ati 9700 pro,,i put fsb to 180 , and multi at 12.5. memory at 5-2-2-2-2t..got 14952 for 3d mark now,,,cpu 37c\98f mb 28c\80 f are theese ok temps? do u recommend going up or leave it like this for awhile,,,what settings would u use next?

svol

Champion
Those temps are great... just try if increasing the FSB to 185 or even higher results in a working system. Your RAM will be able to handle it and your AGP/PCI bus speeds are locked.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

killingfloor

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
ok i went to 185,,,,is there any other settings i need to change? multi . what is this agp spread spectrum ? do i change v core? dont wanna fry this thing but wanna go to 200 fsb and see what she can do...thank you for help i apreciate it much....

svol

Champion
You can lower the multiplier if you want to lower the CPU speed while getting a higher FSB. You only need to increase the VCore if the CPU doesn't run stable at a higher speed, but only if the temps aren't too high.
I dunno what AGP Spread Spectrum is.

killingfloor

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
thanx for reply,,heres what i got now,,,fsb 180, multi 12.5, memory 5-2-2-2t, i got 15209 3d mark...i tried 200 but wouldnt boot with multi at 10, i want to go higher in fsb but can u tell me what i need to put fsb=multi..also i got memory in slots 1-3 , someone told me it would run better in slots 1-2..also i got bios 1002 beta c..should i put a newer one in? thanx much killingfloor

svol

Champion
A newer BIOS can always help increasing stability. You can try if increasing the VCore of your CPU allows a higher FSB.

Otherwise there is another trick but you will need to cut a bridge on the CPU to make that work. Check here for details on that technique: <A HREF="http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6934&perpage=25&pagenumber=1" target="_new">http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6934&perpage=25&pagenumber=1</A>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
use slots 2 and 3 (the two blue ones).
and contrary to what some1 said your agp (not sure about pci) bus is NOT locked by default, you can however set it at whatever speed you want (66mhz is normal, you should put it there).
i have that same mobo, there are also some other settings you might want to make sure you have on/off or a particular setting, if you want email me at leemspencer@mindspring.com and ill give you a list of what it should be for maximum performance.

The first LAN party I went to was at a PETA convention. They booted me when I shot a crab in HL!