Weird o/c stories?

G

Anybody have any weird overclocking stories? I know my computer has done some wierd things. I remember once i overclocked my voodoo 3 3000 and from then on it only worked in black and white, evne when i set it back to normal. I had to send it in and get a new one. I also overclocked this computer once and from now on whenever it encodes .mpegs it gives some videos a certain purple haze to them. Also i just raised my bus speed to 155mhz (155mhz is the "wall" i can't seem to pass) and then i booted up and i got a big screen of e's, that was pretty scary, i thought i messed up the motherboard. I've had plenty of things where the computer doesn't recongnize the video card or soundcard and things of that nature. I was just wondering if other people have had crazy overclocking incedents like that.

Codinerx

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
O yeah, my chip melted for some random reason, and whats weird is that it happened when I brought it back down to default... guess it liked being fast or something haha

AOL dialup is a nightmare... and I'm living it

Brute

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Hmmmm, i live in calgary, it was minuse 35 C one day, i decided to open the window wide open with the tower laying flat on the floor right under the window with a giant house fan blasting -30 air in to the case. umm my mainboard temperature was i believe 1 C, might have been colder then that but the temo guage might not have picked it up, the cpu was around 32 C and it was sooo cold i was actually freezing the computer, when computers get too hot they freeze, well this was the other way around, it was so COLD it was locking up, i took away the house fan and imediatly the computer stopped crashing in 3dmark 2001.

athlon 1.33, geforce 4 ti 4200, 512 sdram, and 8700 in 3dmark 2001 SE, not bad score for the parts i got

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
The cpu I'm running in my gaming rig now- P4 northy 1.8A, 100mhz FSB, will run like a dream at 150mhz FSB, stock cooling, stock volt of 1.5v, 2.7ghz, full load temp never >48. Set the fsb to 15<b>1</b>, even if you give it 1.675V, even if I use 1:1 to run memory underclocked, no matter what, it won't complete 3dmark.

Probably an agp frequency wall, but it still makes for an entertaining story, doesnt it?

-Col.Kiwi

svol

Champion
Some components on your motherboard don't like to function under low temps... but most chips don't mind. It also could be condensation.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have done some insane mods to video cards and motherboards and often show off my stuff at work.

I was making copper heat sinks with a silver core by taking copper end caps and melting silver into the center and grinding the bottom flat then polishing.

After making a set and installing, I had a funny looking card that overclocking on the ram well.

So a coworked thought, "hey, Ill do that too". So after saving up for a few weeks for a new ti4600, a few days waiting for card to come in, a few hours melting silver and grinding polishing the bottoms, and a few minutes of glueing the sinks on he just about to install the card and he dopped it. The weight of the heat sinks was too much and broke a few BPGA memory chips from the board.

Newegg.com honored the RMA knowing the sinks were glued on and the BPGA ram chips were busted off sending out a brand new unopened Gainward Ultra 750 GS w/vivo PP3

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
That is one amazing rma....

<font color=green>::: Sir, I'd like to return this cpu, it is dead.</font color=green> <font color=blue>::: Its not dead, its resting...</font color=blue>

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
try this - my MSI KT3 Ultra won't let me go over 144Mhz FSB with my Athlon XP 1600 - Win XP won't let me get past my network logon... all my temps are nice (31C on idle - 37 on load... with a nice 120mm fan over the chipset), so i really don't get it.

Woohoo! Broke the 30-celcius barrier with through the loud and innefficient world of air-cooling! Also, never - NEVER - play with gum in one hand and hair in the other... just trust me.

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Prime example, cpu goes <A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDE5" target="_new">pop</A>

<font color=green>::: Sir, I'd like to return this cpu, it is dead.</font color=green> <font color=blue>::: Its not dead, its resting...</font color=blue>

svol

Champion
Yeah I heard about it. Makes sence though: lot of heat on the inside, lot of cold on the outisde... heatspreader starts to curve and... SNAP!

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek: